GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 13:36:06 EDT
Hi everyone:
I have re-subscribed to the mailing list after a brief hiatus from being
actively involved in Gambia-L issues.

Be prepared for some divergent views on issues from what apparently has
become the status quo. Let's put it this way, I am still staunchly anti-APRC
because, like many, I do not believe that a military regime can be
successfully transformed into a non-military one.  Once the ties to the
military have been established (as in the case of the APRC), it becomes
impossible to break them.  Thus, a military turned democratic regime is
nothing more than a military regime under the guise of a legitimate
government in an attempt to gain a legitimate look in the eyes of the outside
World.

Nevertheless, I have had time to examine the opposition parties in The Gambia
and my the sad conclusion is that they simply are not up to par.  How does
one account for upper members of the UDP making antiquated and ill informed
statements like the ones Wu Jawara uttered the other day when asked about the
possibility of a more fair representation of women in the UDP?  A breakdown
in communication at the highest echelons, or simply because of political
inexperience?

Anyway, it's good to be back and I do hope that this time we can dissent
without resulting to insults when the going gets tough.