GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:41:06 +0000
A new book by Adrian College political science professor Muqtedar Khan
advances a peaceful vision of Islam and helps American Muslims adjust to
their new realities.

"American Muslims: Bridging Faith and Freedom," which was due out in August
by Amana Publications, critiques the extremist streaks within some Muslims,
but also highlights the tradition of peace and tolerance inherent in Islam's
teaching. It is the work of a public intellectual who is exploring the
relationship between faith and freedom, religion and politics and ideas and
policy.

"Especially since September 11, Muslims in America not only need to be
better understood by others, they also need to understand themselves," says
Ali Mazrui, Albert Schweitzer Professor, SUNY (Binghamton). "This important
book is a contribution to both quests for comprehension. Muqtedar Khan
brings passion, eloquence and intellectual power to bear on his subject."

Khan, 36, has already established himself as an internationally renowned
expert on issues surrounding the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The Los Angeles
Times has called him "The Voice of Moderate Islam," and Newsday said he is
"one of a growing number of young, moderate Muslim thinkers who believe
themselves engaged in a battle for the soul of Islam. "

Khan is assistant professor of political science at Adrian College in
Michigan. He earned his doctorate in international relations, political
philosophy, and Islamic political thought from Georgetown University in May
2000. He is vice president of the Association of Muslim Social Scientists
and is also on the boards of the Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy
and the American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences.

To place an order with the publisher, call Amana Publications at
1-800-660-1777, or go to Amana Publications.

Also available at Amazon.com.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.