GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:31:13 EDT
Joe,

I am one of those people who pledged my support for the Save The Gambia Fund,
 but I also did say that I will make my contributions when I know there is a
solid opposition with a clear agenda laid out. Otherwise in my view, we will
collect funds only to delegate that our individual contributions go to the
parties of our choice.

Perhaps I made a mistake by adding my name to the list at this time, with
this condition attached,and if it will become a tool for deriding people, then I
would like to have my name removed from the list until I feel that there is a
solid coalition opposition to fund, and at that time, you can bet I personally
will put my money where my mouth is.

I know it is imperative that this coalition be organized and organized well.
I also know that it will take a lot of work and dedication to lay out clearly
what this coalition will look like, the rules under which it will operate,
what they will accomplish if they win the elections, how long it will be in
place, and what reforms will be undertaken by them to pave the way for a free and
legal open election eventually.I was told this roadmap will be put together by
cooperation between the diaspora committees and the political parties on the
ground working together to eventually  come up with the final document.

It was said here that a report on the summit in Atlanta will be posted and I
know a lot of people are waiting for that to provide them with some basic
information. If it was posted to the GL, I missed it, and I believe Momodou
Sidibeh enquired about this report the other day.

I had made enquiries as to how things will be organized as far as the
diasporans were concerned, i.e what our role will be, and how the effort will be
coordinated and it was at this time that I was told given the above information.

I was later  informed that the organizers of the summit were accepting
nominations for names to form a committee, so it would seem then that the committes
are not open for people to just volunteer to help, they have to be selected by
someone.

In essence, so far, at least on the GL, there is not much information about
what is being organized and who is organizing it, and whether they are looking
for volunteers or not.
I think that unless this is considereed priviledged information, those who
are the organizers perhaps need to provide some basic information about what is
going on and provide some direction to those who are willing to assist, or
simply keep them informed so as not to defeat the purpose of the idea. Even if
there is already a group that has been selected  by someone to serve on these
committees,  It would be wise to provide information to the general public in
the diaspora so they can feel they are part of the process and will be
encouraged to lend their assistance financially or in other ways.

Jabou Joh