GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Seedy SaidyKhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:04:45 EST
It was 36 years ago on February 18, 1965, that The Gambia attained
independence. What this meant on that day was that The Gambia will not be
ruled, controlled, supported, etc., by others. From my personal
understanding, it was meant to be full political independence with
socioeconomic embodiments. However, 36 years after the declaration of that
independence, The Gambia's political and economic institutions are in
shambles.

Barely two weeks ago, out of desperation, may be, Ebrima Ceesay wrote a
letter to the US Secretary of State, General Colin Powell, asking for his
consideration/intervention in the politically troubled Gambia. Then a few
days later, I learned that the Movement for Restoration of Democracy in The
Gambia(UK) in conjuction with a cross-party group of British Members of
Parliament and representatives of The Gambia's Opposition Parties are
reportedly arranging a briefing session on The Gambia on a variety of issues
on February 28. After the above two scenarios came to my knowledge, I began
to wander the independence, essence and existence of The Gambia's legislative
body and the opposition parties. Can The Gambians grant their opposition
parties the moral and financial support they require to enable them to
effectively embark on their various agenda? If that briefing session should
take place in London under the auspices of British Parliamentarians, then it
means that we are repeating history. Because similar sessions were held
shortly prior to February 18, 1965.

Meanwhile, even though this Independence Day celebration could have meant
more sense to me, I must still pay my tributes to Sir Dawda, P.S. Njie, S.M.
Dibba and many others for their individual and collective participation in
the attainment of independence for The Gambia.

Seedy Saidykhan