GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 16:23:17 -0600
Hello, everyone.  I hate to seem stupid or anything.  But as a new Muslim,
the debate of what to celebrate and what not to celebrate is very confusing
to me.  While I do not want to seem disrespectufl or intolerant of my
non-Muslim friends and family, I do not want to do anything that is going to
negate my faith and practice of Islam.
     For example, this Christmas, my roommate's family came over to my
house.  Since they are my friends as well, I sat with them and watched them
unwrap their presents.  I wasn't gong to go hide in my room, that would have
seemed extreme to me.  I also went over to my roommate's mom's house for New
Year's Eve.  Maybe I should not have done that, but these are people I have
known for years.  As long as I am not doing anything that contradicts the
teachings of Islam, then I think it is OK.  Also, I think it gives them
opportunities to ask any questions of me, and I think by me just being there
it sets a good example of how Muslims can coexist.
    If I would have totally cut off all relations with them on becoming
Muslim, I think that that would have left a very bad impression of Islam on
them.  By me continuing to have a friendship with them, I think it allows
them to get a more balanced picture of Islam.
    These are just some thoughts.  I hope I didn't offend anyone.  As a new
Muslim, I still have a lot to learn, and maybe my approahces toward some
things may not be correct.  But I am trying.
Ginny