GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 14:15:46 -0500
Bamba Laye,

The phenomenon of political prostitution ascribed to African intellectuals
has been tirelessly examined by political and social scientists.  The
eminent Ghanaian lecturer George B.N. Ayittey succintly deals with the issue
in his book, 'Africa in Chaos'.

To buttress your points, I was recently amused to see on a tape so-called
educated people being made to repeat: 'Dr. Alhagie Yahya A. J.J. Jameeeeeeh'
during the APRC victory celebration at the McCarthy/22nd July Square.  This
line became Yankuba Touray's mantra throughout the celebration. And
President Jammeh holding a white handkerchief, prayer beads, and a copy of
the Holy Qur'an swearing, "Billaahi, Wallaahi, Tallaahi", over and over
again.  Oh, I even forgot about the Jihadist sword he perpetually carries
around with him.  I thought about Mobutu with his totemic leopard hat, Sekou
Toure with his white handkerchief, and some other fool of a president that
always carried a carved stick with him.  What in heaven's name is wrong with
such African leaders? Surprisingly, their common denominator is their lust
for power, intimidation, and violence.  Above all, what is wrong with the
people, especially the intellectuals, who worship such infantile presidents?

Maybe, some psycho-analyst could look at these behavioral patterns in an
attempt to understand the factors that trigger such mental behavior.
Africa's gloom and doom have been hastened by no other people than her own
children.  The advent of a free society in The Gambia and other parts of
Africa will be a dream until our people cease to worship their leaders.

Hamadi.