GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:27:23 -0500
Barrow, I join Hamjatta and commend you for your stance and honesty. I renew
my appeal and encourage other PDOIS supporters to view our statements in
good faith. This is not about knocking PDOIS. This is about jealously
guarding the integrity of the Movement and the London Briefing Session. No
one was criticizing PDOIS for their absence per se. Numerous subscribers
came here and elsewhere to say that they were waiting for PDOIS' official
statement on the matter before they form an opinion. It is PDOIS' views
about the meeting that we have a problem with.

They are entitled to those views. But we are also entitled to debunk those
views if we feel that it does not fairly describe what took place. I would
only add one more thing to what Hamjatta said, and this is just reiterating
a point Hamjatta made few days ago. I am repeating that point because some
of the mental midgets in this forum seemed to have missed it. That is, what
did people want the Movement members to do when ex-PPP politicians showed
up? To BAN them from even speaking? This is even worst than Decree 89. Fancy
Mendy accusing Hamjatta of being a dictator like Yaya because Hamjatta uses
English words to defend his point of view. This same Mendy chap is
advocating that Jawara et al should be banned from the Opposition and should
not even be allowed to speak. Where is this man from?

Even a dictator like Yaya is not advocating for ex-PPP members be gagged.
The party that Mendy is supporting is also not advocating for ex-PPP members
be gagged. As a matter of fact, PDOIS vehemently denounced Decree 89 as
unconstitutional and undemocratic. And as I said, Decree 89 seeks to prevent
people from occupying public offices. It does not say that ex-PPP people
cannot talk about Yaya's despicable human rights record. So, why does people
like Mendy want the Movement to go further than Decree 89 and ban ex-PPP
people? Mendy does not make sense. I hope he spares us his whining and back
up his rhetoric on G_L rather than describe people that debunk his nonsense
as dictators.

No matter how many times these doubting Thomases say it, it will always
remain a lie that this Movement is a partisan outfit. Thanks again, Barrow.
KB