GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 10:16:55 +0200
*Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue*
Issue No. 36/2006, 11-14 May, 2006

* *
*Editorial*

*WHO IS MISLEADING THE PEOPLE? *

*(Part2)*

published an article, which reported that SOS Touray described the editorial
as "unfounded and misleading." According to the Daily Observer, SOS Touray
considers our reference to the mismanagement of the economy by the Executive
as unfounded and misleading.

We maintained that our statement is well founded and cited cases of people
found liable by the Paul Commission, including SOS Touray himself, for sums
of money amounting to millions of dalasis. We also noted that the President
has failed to publish the report for the public to have full knowledge or to
give reasons why he had not done so as required by the constitution. See
last issue for other references.

In his concluding remarks, SOS Touray was quoted as stating: "Let Foroyaa
provide an alternative and stop making unrealistic statements. They should
understand that the days of the GPMB and GCU are gone." The alternative
proposed by Foroyaa is simple and straightforward. Let's examine the facts
to know who is realistic.

Mismanagement aside, the wrong policies are being pursued. The revenue of
the state is tax based and this is unsustainable. Each year the government
incurs more debts in order to sustain its budget. In 2006 D1,500 million is
to be taken out of a total budget of D3,800 million to pay debts. Out of
D1500 million debt service for 2006, D955 million constitutes interest on
the loan whilst D717 million constitutes interest on domestic debts. This is
not sustainable.

In fact the Secretary of State for finance in his 2006 budget speech
indicated that a budget deficit of D885 million was experienced in 2005
resulting to net external borrowing of D446 million and net domestic
borrowing of D448 million.

At a workshop for Parliamentarians held this week the Permanent Secretary
Department of State for Education indicated that the budget allocation for
education has to be slashed by a "quarter of twenty percent" because of
shortfalls in the anticipated revenue and expenses in the AU Summit, for
which D118 million has been allocated.

Is this realistic? Is it prudent to use funds for an AU Summit when you are
not in a position to purchase the produce of the farmers and cannot get the
private sector to do so?

What Foroyaa is saying is that to continue to rely on taxation to build the
revenue base is unsustainable. The billions of dalasis accumulated by the
public sector should be invested in the productive base of the economy in
order to build the economy and generate income to finance the budget.

*EDUCATION BUDGET DEDUCTED** *
NAMs Express Worries

*By Amie Sanneh*

Members of the National Assembly have expressed worries over the deduction
of the Education budget as revealed by the Permanent Secretary at the
Department of State for Education, while presenting a paper on "Education in
The Gambia" at an international seminar on the contribution of
Parliamentarians to Education for All (EFA) held at the Palm Groove Hotel.

The Member for Jarra West Constituency Kemeseng Jammeh said Parliamentarians
should not just cry foul over the slash of the Education budget by 50
percent, but they should do something about it.

He added that this slash from the budget is an attempt to usurp the
responsibilities of the National Assembly, noting that they should have been
aware of it.

Mr. Jammeh maintained that the slicing of the provision of the education
budget single handedly is uncalled for.

He however called on his colleagues to pry into the matter in order to know
the reason why it has been deducted.

Also expressing concern over the deduction, the majority leader of the
National Assembly Churchill Baldeh, said deducting 50 percent from the
education budget is almost paralyzing the whole situation.

He added that for such an important budget to be cut by 50 percent is
worrying.

He remarked that if the state is doing such a thing on its own, then it is
not the right thing.

"We are the only authority that can cut budget," he said.

Mr. Baldeh pointed out that Parliamentarians need to be on top of all these
things. Some other members of the National Assembly also expressed their
concerns and worries over the dedication.

The Permanent Secretary at the Department of State for Education, later said
the budget cut is not by 50 but by a quarter of 20 per cent.

He said the reason why it was deducted is due to the fact that the revenue
did not come as it was expected. He revealed that another reason why it was
deducted is that, it coincided with the African Union (AU) Summit, which he
said is going to take a lot of funding.

Mr. Bouy however said that it is not only the education sector, which has
been deducted, but from other sectors too.

*ROW* *AT MANSAKONKO AREA COUNCIL*

*By Yaya Dampha*

Mansakonko Area Council is one of the smallest councils but one of the most
controversial in the whole country. Some time last year, a new CEO Chief
Executive Officer, Mr. Yusupha Manneh, was transferred from Basse Area
Council, to MKK Mansakonko, when he allegedly disagreed with his Chairman
and the Divisional Commissioner on how to spend the council's revenue. Even
though the Management at the Mansakonko Area Council were also against the
move of Phoday Darboe, the then CEO at Mansakonko, one year after the coming
of CEO Manneh, the Management accused Mr. Yusupha Manneh and his treasurer,
Mr. Drammeh, of mismanagement of council's funds. During their meeting last
Tuesday, a decision was taken that both the CEO and the treasurer be
transferred latest Friday, 5 th May, 2006.

However, both the CEO and the treasurer denied any mismanagement and further
said that they came to LRD when the council's account was completely red;
that due to their efficiency, the council now has a healthy account.

This has attracted the public's attention because the deliberations at the
meeting could not kept secret in the whole of Jarra. The Assistant Governor
and other Divisional authorities had to intervene, inorder to rectify the
situation. After a whole day's meeting on Wednesday, a compromise was stroke
and the duo are now staying put.

When contacted, the Chairman at the Council, Mayor Wally Sanneh, said that
there is no problem within his council.

For his part, the CEO Yusupha Manneh, said he is very clean and dedicated to
his work. He argued that last year when he came to LRD no only did he find
the council completely bankrupt but also that many members of staff were
paid on lower grades. He said with the cooperation of his good and efficient
treasurer, they are now able to pay personnel according to their actual
grades. CEO Manneh further stated that since he assumed office, the council
was able to construct a standard abattoir in Soma that is considered to be
the best throughout the country. He asked what the Mansakonko Area Council
did for the people from 2000 to 2005. He said all the good work they are
doing is what is not welcome by certain individuals, who are new trying to
tarnish their image.

In a separate development, Mr. Tamsir who was the car park master for many
years has been moved and replaced by Sunkary Dembo Saidykhan. Mr. Tamsir's
removal from the car park and the consequent retrieval of his motorcycle has
created another confusion within the council. Many feel that it was out of
witch-hunting that this move was done, to satisfy some of the APRC youths
who are now appointed as council workers. Others see it as yet another move
in the right direction.

When contacted, Chairman Wally Sanneh said that it was part of their
structural adjustments. Chairman Sanneh indicated that sometime back, his
council had taken a similar move when it realised that the money coming from
the weekly market (Lumo) at Bureng was too small; that they sent a new team
there and saw some remarkable difference in the work of these two teams.

He said that this time, they have decided to remove Tamsir from the car park
and send a new team there and that this move has also resulted in a
remarkable improvement in collections.

*GAMBIA NOT PART OF PEER*
REVIEW MECHANISM

*By Abdoulie G. Dibba *

During the question and answer session at the National Assembly, the
Minority Leader and Member for Serrekunda Central, Hon. Halifa Sallah,
raised the following question: "Madam Speaker could the Hon. Secretary of
State for Foreign Affairs indicate to the National Assembly whether The
Gambia is a signatory to the Memorandum of Understanding establishing the
Africa Peer Review Mechanism as recommended by the Pan African Parliament;
if not will he be willing to give assurance to this August body that it
shall be put into urgent consideration?" In response SOS Kaba Bajo indicated
that The Gambia is always in the forefront when it comes to signing and
ratifying international instruments particularly those of the African Union;
that the Government of The Gambia truly and firmly believed in the
principles and ideals enshrined in various conventions, Protocols,
agreements and organs of the African Union and that this is clearly
manifested in the offer by the Government of The Gambia to host the
June/July 2006 African Union Summit and the decision by the leaders of
Africa to accept the offer. Regarding whether The Gambia is a signatory to
the Memorandum of Understanding establishing the African Peer Review
Mechanism as recommended by the Pan African Parliament, the SOS answered in
the negative. However, SOS Bajo said that consultations have been going on
to enable the Government to sign and ratify all the relevant instruments of
the African Union and the above Memorandum of Understanding would also be
considered. In a supplement any question, the member for Wuli, West, Hon.
Sidia Jatta, asked SOS Bajo whether he is not sure of it being considered
since he is not sure of it being since he indicated "would." In response,
SOS Bajo said that he would be pacified by saying it will be considered.

"ACQUIT MAYOR CONTEH"

*Gaye Tells Court***

Lawyer Antouman Gaye has urged the High Court to acquit and discharge his
client, Mayor Abdoulie Conteh on the criminal charges preferred against him
by the State.

Antouman Gaye said the State has not complied with the law.

According to him, the fact that the state has not filed an affidavit to
contradict the facts that are raised in their notice is an indication of the
fact that the state is admitting the issues raised by the defence. He said
the plea before the honourable Court is a special plea and that it has a
special proceeding. Going further, Gaye said Mayor Conteh has made a written
plea and the notice is filed by his counsel. He further pointed out that the
issues before the court had already been dealt with by a court of law.

In his submission, the Director of Public Prosecution, Emmanuel Fagbenle,
told the court that the application made by the defence is brought under
section 222 of the criminal procedure code, which section he said, is
reinforced by section 24 of the 1997 Constitution. He said the plea can be
raised by an accused person if he can show that he has been previously tried
by a court of competent Jurisdiction, and he has either been previously
convicted or acquitted for the same offence. He asked whether the accused
person has received a presidential pardon for the offence for which he is
tried. He went further to say that the present trial is not affected by any
of the issues he (Fagbenle) raised in his submission. He said that Mayor
Conteh had not been tried on the issues before the court.

Antouman Gaye butted in at that juncture and said that the issues raised by
Fagbenle are factual matters, noting Fagbenle can only submit on points of
law. He cited legal authorities to bolster his submission, and relied on the
principle of "Autrofois convict" and "Autrofois acquit" (meaning the accused
has been acquitted and discharged on the same counts). He said the
prosecution should have joined issues, noting the principle of replication
is fundamental to this case and it cannot be bushed aside.

In his reply, Fagbenle said, "In the existence of laws are facts". In his
view, laws are not pleaded; they are cited before the court.

"When I cited that the accused has not been tried on the notice before the
court, I an only asserting a statement of law, showing that that objection
does not lie. The claim before this honourable court is "I have been tried
before in this matter," and the response is, "You have not been tried before
on this matter." The issues raised by my learned friend are circumstantial.
The facts and all the materials before you will show that they are not the
same.

Gaye replied, "No argument has been advanced by my learned friend to show
why my application should be rejected. The facts are not contradicted."

The case has been adjourned for ruling. The state was represented by
Emmanuel Fagbenle and Marley Wood, which the defence was represented by
Antouman Gaye, Momodou Drammeh, Amie Joof Conteh and Badou Conteh.

*FISCAL PRESSURE, A CHALLENGE*

*TO CENTRAL BANK*

*By Amie Sanneh*

The Governor of the Central Bank of The Gambia has said that the challenge
of the bank is to avert fiscal pressures associated with volatile oil prices
in order to support and sustain the favourable macroeconomic environment.

He said that the basic balance, that is revenues minus total expenditure and
net lending excluding externally finance capital expenditure, is estimated
at a surplus of D219.0 million.

The Central Bank's Governor made these remarks at a press briefing held
recently at the Bank's conference room in Banjul.

He added that despite strong growth and high oil prices, inflationary
pressures remain well contained Mr. Jatta said that headline inflation
measured by the consumer price index, declined from 4.9 percent in March
2005 to 1.7 percent at end-March 2006.

Mr. Jatta revealed that Gross Official reserves are estimated to increase to
D3.0 billion at the end of 2006, against D2.7 billion in 2005.

He posited that as at end of March 2006, gross official reserves stood at
D2.8 billion noting that The Gambia is current on its external debt service
payment.

Mr. Jatta noted that the net useable reserves of the Central Bank, totaled
D2.24 billion and exceeded the target of D2.08 billion. On the other hand,
he said net domestic assets of the Central Bank amounted to D121.7 million
and was below the target of D228.9 million.

The bank's Governor added that Domestic Credit increased robustly by
28.2percent following a contraction of
13.8 percent, a year ago. For private sector credit, he said, accounting for
53.9 percent of domestic credit, rose by 21.2 percent.

Mr. Jatta noted that although non food consumer price inflation rose
slightly to 3.7 percent from 3.1 percent in March 2005, this was off set by
marked deceleration in food prices to 0.7 percent, relative to 5.8 percent
in March 2005.

Domestic revenue and grants out turn, he said, estimated at D781.5 million,
was only D18 million short of projection. Mr. Jatta added that expenditure
and net lending was D1.12 billion higher than the budget estimate of
D975.1million.

He remarked that core inflation, which excludes prices of energy and
volatile food items, fell from 2.7 percent in March 2005 to 1.5 per cent at
end March 2006.

The Governor of the Central Bank posited that non-performing loans
decreased, albeit slightly to D234.6 million or 1.5 percent from the
previous quarter, but remained a course for concern despite adequate
provisioning.

He pointed out that the industry's assets increased to D8.23 billion in
March 2006 or 18.6 percent from the previous quarter and aggregated earnings
rose by 26. 9 percent to D71.0 million.

Mr. Jatta noted that due to the risk of the inflation outlook, the bank's
Monetary Policy Committee MPC has decided to reduce the rediscount and
policy rates by 2.0 percentage points to 15.0 percent. he said that the MPC
would continue to monitor the situation and if the outlook changes, the
committee would review its stance.

At The National Assembly HALIFA ON THE PRESIDENT'S SPEECH

*(PART 6)*

Foroyaa has been publishing the reaction of the Minority Leader and Member
for Serrekunda Central, Hon. Halifa Sallah.   In this issue, we shall
publish the rest of his reaction.
*On Environment*

Hon. Speaker, the issue of the Environment Wildlife and Forestry is a key
one.  The Environment is the basis of our survival and the world has come to
see that if there is going to be sustainable development, we must address
the need of the present without compromising the need of the future.  Hon.
Speaker, a report that we will table here will show a scientific analysis of
the waste management system of the country and I don't need to go into that
now.  But what is fundamental, Hon. Speaker, is that we need an integrated
participatory approach to the disposal of waste and protection of our
environment.  And, hopefully, we think that we would be able to formulate
more policies through such recommendations.
*On Governance*

Hon. Speaker, Governments arise out of the consent of the people and they
should exercise the authority of the people to promote the general welfare
of the people to enable the people to live in a country without fear, to
live in dignity and to have security.  It is important to know, Hon.
Speaker, that institutions are necessary to protect people.  That's why we
have laws to make our behaviours predictable to enable us know that if we
violate those laws, there is a predictable mechanism of enforcement of those
laws.  And at the end of the day, it would be done in such a way that you
accept to humble yourself, that you have done wrong and the penalty must be
accepted for doing wrong.  That is a stable society! A society based on the
rule of law.   So it is important Hon. Speaker and I emphasise
empathetically that the constitutional provisions that are made, were
designed to safeguard the fundamental rights of citizens.  That nobody is
above the law and that the law enforcer must enforce the law according to
the law. And the person who violated the law must also be subjected to the
dictate of the law. That is essential! So, Hon. Speaker, what is essential
is that if our country is to be respected, if our country is to get the
support that we need, both nationally and internationally, then the laws we
have decided to make according to our own good judgment must be respected by
us. If we do not respect the laws that we make, then we would not be
respected by anybody on the face of the earth. So, Hon. Speaker, it is
important that if the law said within 72 hours you should be taken before
the court it is left to the court to decide whether to keep you in custody
or otherwise. People should not be tried by the press or by the National
Assembly. They must be tried by the courts and that they must be presumed
innocent until they are proven guilty. Hon. Speaker, the reason why we have
separation of power is that the courts have their role the National Assembly
has its role, the Executive has it role and that it what we accept is the
cornerstone of our democracy. So it is important, Hon. Speaker, that I would
strongly recommend that we have signed as parties a Memorandum of
Understanding to promote more consultations between those who are interested
in leadership of the country. We must accept what the President has said at
the beginning, that we must rely on our culture as strength. Hon. Speaker,
our culture is a culture of respect, a culture of a community, of sharing, a
culture of goodwill, wishing for your neighbour what you wished for
yourself. That's what religions are here for, Hon. Speaker. That's what
human value is here for. So Hon. Speaker, it is important that we fall back
to that culture. That we wish well for people; we accept the dictate of the
law; and wish well for each other. If we do that Hon. Speaker, we would be
able to create the type of nation that we envisage tomorrow for us and for
our children and grand children's.

*On The Local Government*

Hon. Speaker, during the amendment of the Local Government Act, we raised
the issue that the councils were to be autonomous and that councils must not
be answerable to Governors. One proposal was accepted and that is, that the
Chairperson of councils should not be accountable to the Governor. But the
Hon. Speaker, section 11 of the Local Government Act said that "The Council
shall consist of: (a) a Chairperson elected in accordance with section 13;

(b) a member from each ward elected by the ward! Hon. Speaker, how can the
Chairperson be part of a council, which is accountable to the Governor, and
then we say that the Chairperson is not accountable to the Governor? We
raised the issue here, Hon. Speaker, but our colleagues are seeing us from
the other side and ignored us. And they would then talk about partisan
politic affecting this side. Hon. Speaker, our views have been ignored,
whether it is for partisan reason, maybe the Majority Leader will explain.
But essentially Hon. Speaker, there is somehow rejection of what is very
clear and wise advice and therefore promoting the culture of mediocrity
rather than the culture that the President is talking about and that is to
be empathetic, critical and objective.
*On Works, Construction and Infrastructure*

Hon. Speaker, if you look at some of the past addresses and I think those
who prepared these addresses should begin to consult the past and compare
the past with the present. Hon. Speaker, if you look at page 13 of the
President's address in 2002, you would see this that "the recent opening of
the new Kombo Coastal Road has provided The Gambia Public Transport
Corporation with new opportunities to penetrate the Kombos and expand its
services. The Banjul Kartong Service was reintroduced in July last year. The
objectives of the corporation now are to acquire between 22 to 35 new buses
by the end of the first quarter of 2002, through concessionary loan
financing to rejuvenate the aging fleet and to increase investment for the
rehabilitation of the existing fleet in order to increase its fleet size,
improve reliability and availability at a lower cost. What is happening now?
So you see Hon. Speaker, the essence is not to give emphasis to more words.
I agreed with the President again that we must give emphasis to action and
if we emphasise practice then we will begin to monitor what is being said
this year and follow it next year. This Hon. Speaker, is when we can
determine progress. But the saddest thing is that every year we come with
new ideas, which are not implemented. Hon. Speaker, I asked the Secretary of
State whether GAMTEL could continue to operate as it is operating and yet
being able to compete? He said, "Yes, GAMTEL must exercise corporate
responsibility." Hon. Speaker at page 40 of the address we are told that
"The Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) pilot project known as Jamano has
been successful and plans are underway to provide 390, 000 lines in phases
at a cost of D700 million." Hon. Speaker, where is the D700 million coming
from? Loan! If you follow budget speech after budget speech, address after
address, you see Hon. Speaker lines increasing and this and that increasing
from loans to loans. If you look at the budget speech Hon. Speaker, we are
told that in 2005, GAMTEL has a profit of D211 million after expenditure but
then GAMTEL in 2005 paid a dividend of D2 million to Government. Hon.
Speaker, if you have an institution which has to invest in its
infrastructural and Technological development and is taking loan which has
to be paid; but at the same time it is spending money on independence
celebration like in the case of GAMTEL, ultimately Hon. Speaker, you are
going to privatize that institution because they will not be able to pay
those loans. They will condition Government ultimately to cut down on its
deficit. Just as we are being conditioned to cut down on the deficit of
Government. Hon. Speaker, Government deficit amounted to D855 million last
year with a debt service of D1.4 billion and among those debts are those for
public enterprises. Last year Hon. Speaker, we paid for NAWEC the sum of D59
million to Taiwan Import/Export Bank for generators. This year too we have
budgeted for D26 million Hon. Speaker; this is coming from public funds. So
where is the corporate responsibility in a situation where you are using
public money to pay loans taken by those public corporations? And Hon.
Speaker, those public corporations are not giving you the services free of
charge. Look at the telephone bills and the electricity bills of the
Government. Where is the corporate responsibility? For me, that is the
height of corporate irresponsibility! You take loan to develop services
instead of saving it to be able to make investment, what do they do? Look at
the investment pattern Hon. Speaker. We are being told that we have a
problem with the marketing of groundnut; that we do not have the ability to
buy the nuts. But Hon. Speaker, we are now guaranteeing companies in the
banking system to buy the nuts, when we spent D45 million to purchase Amie's
Beach (now Ocean Bay) and spent over D300 million to refurbish that
institution through public money. How long will it take us to be able to
recover that investment? What was wrong with investing that amount in the
Association of Cooperative Societies? Why couldn't that money be given to
them to go and purchase the nuts, then line up the private companies that
will buy the nuts from them. At least, Hon. Speaker, it would have been
remove from the farmers and it would be left for them to go and engage in
corporate activities to look for partners outside who would be able to buy
their nuts after their purchased. With this Hon. Speaker, you would have
been able to improve prices of agricultural products and you would have also
been able to sustain the purchasing power. We are told that D250 million was
utilized by GAMCO to purchase 32,000 tons of groundnut last year. When you
spent D345 million just to invest in a hotel. Clearly Hon. Speaker, we must
recognised that the investment pattern of the public corporations is not
going to lead to the development of this country, but it is going to lead to
exactly what is happening now. And that is Hon. Speaker, our public
corporations becoming more and more indebted and ultimately outsiders will
come and dictate to us, whether we want it or not. It is our financial
discipline and proper management of our public enterprises that can save us.

*SOS FAYE LABELS TEACHERS UNIONS AS ADVERSARIES*

*By Amie Sanneh*

The Secretary of State for Education Fatou Lamin Faye has labelled teachers
unions as adversaries or adverse critics of governments. Mrs. Faye made
these remarks on Saturday while addressing teachers at The Gambia Teachers'
Union Headquarters.

"As lobby groups, they doggedly seek to protect their membership and further
interest in every conceivable and decisive manner," she stated.

In her view, unions have often served as watchdogs, posing as threats to
arms of government globally and have even contributed in some instances to
the downfall of certain regimes.

She pointed out that over four decades ago, The Gambia Teachers' Association
incited teachers and led some of them into industrial action, resulting in
some unfortunate consequences.

SOS Faye, however, posited that it is contrastingly striking that GTU has
evolved today into a formidable partner of Government, contributing to the
professional development of teachers.

"This evolution is undoubtedly the result of a process of organizational
maturation, sound and visionary leadership that is under girded by the
acquisition, development and use of dialogic skills and objective
rationalization, among other things," said SOS Faye. She revealed that
Education is an all embracing phenomenon that seeks to address al the
variables that positively or negatively impact on the education system.

This she noted is why the challenges that confront them in the sector are
numerous and complex and cannot be addressed from one front. "They have to
be conceived from a multifarious perspective and, from that view point,
addressed decisively," she said.

SOS Faye revealed that there are problems of staffing those schools with
efficient and committed teachers to deliver quality education as perceived
in the current National Education Policy.

She added that with the rapid expansion of the education sector, there is an
ever-pressing need to ensure that teacher's education is qualitatively and
quantitatively adequate in scope and depth to correspond with the socio
development needs of the country.

"Compounding these are the issues of equitable teacher distribution and
teacher welfare, continuous professional development and infrastructure
development to ascertain basic social amenities," she posited.

SOS Faye maintained that in terms of educational policy development and
implementation, it needs o be accompanied by relevant curriculum development
and the act of practical teaching in appropriate educational programmes to
enhance teacher's effectiveness.

This she noted is due to the fact that low student performance has always
been directly traced or tied to the level of teachers' performance within
the teaching-learning setting.

She noted that government and the Education Department have always
acknowledged the constraints and shortcomings of teachers in relation to
resource mobilisation, distribution and utilization for delivery social
services.

This she remarked accounts for partnership cooperation and collaboration of
individuals, civic society and non-governmental organisations with
government in its efforts towards national development.

JUNG KONTEH IS NOT FIT FOR ANY POSITION

*Words of Lamin R. Darboe UDP Candidate for the Kombo East bye-Election*

*By Lamin Fatty *

According to the UDP candidate for the forth-coming bye-election in the
Kombo East constituency, Nfansu Jung Konteh is not fit for any position in
Kombo East. Mr. Darboe made these remarks at a recent UDP meeting held at
Bonto and Kafuta on Monday, 8th May, 2006, in preparation for the
bye-election. He said that any position that one can hold through election
excludes Jung Konteh. According to him, Jung is not fit stating that since
everybody knows who Nfansu Jung Konteh is, people should not elect him. He
branded Jung as some body who does not have sympathy for his people and
therefore cannot preside over their affairs. According Lamin Darboe this has
been manifested at a time when their Alkalo died and within three days, Jung
replaced someone to the position of the Alkalo, who gave him a bull, when he
was Chief; that before the seven days charity he Jung, announced the
replacement of their Alkalo, whom the people did not like. He finally told
the electorates to vote for him because he is the only candidate that can
solve their problems. Hamat Bah for his part told the gathering that anybody
in the Kombo East District, who does not want to be disappointed, must vote
for Lamin Darboe. He stated that Lamin Darboe is the only right candidate,
since he is hardworking and has respect for the elders. He assured the
people of Kafuta that when they elect Lamin R. Darboe in office, UDP
coalition will work with him very closely in bringing development in Kombo
East. He said politics of empty promises are over because everybody is
conscious of what is going on. But reminds them not to under estimate this
bye-elections. Ousainou Darboe for his part told the electorates at Kafuta
that Lamin Darboe is a young man who can do any service at any time. He said
Lamin Darboe has a good character because he has never been linked to any
criminal case; that therefore he is the right candidate to be voted in
office. But according the UDP Presidential candidate, somebody who has his
case files at the Police Stations and court houses, should not even come
before them, demanding their votes because he is not capable. He said
politics should be based on truth and nothing else.

"NO ROOM FOR THE OPPOSITION IN KOMBO EAST"

*Says Nyimasata Sanneh Bojang***

*By Fabakary B. Ceesay*

Addressing Party Supporters at Omorto village in the Kombo East
constituency. Honourable Nyimasata Sanneh Bojang said that sine the
beginning of politics in the country, the Kombo East electorates have never
voted for the opposition, even though there are moderate numbers of
opposition members in the constituency. She said that she had actively
participated in the Kombo East Constituency politics during the former
regime with Lamin Kitty Jabang, who was the then member for Parliament for
the said constituency. Honorable Sanneh Bojang cast her mind back to the
former regime's opposition as more genuine than the present oppositions, but
said that they were also only interested in making Sheriff Dibba a
President. She said that the present opposition is not only interested in
leadership but also selfishness. She called on Darboe, Sidia Jatta, Halifa,
Hamat Bah and Waa Juwara not to compare themselves to President Jammeh,
because they do not have any leadership qualities. Nyimasata and Majanko
told the electorate that they are not voting for Jung Conteh but for
President Jammeh. They said that this by-election will determine their
success in the coming October pools. Speaking earlier, a party stalwart,
Ebrima Jassey, warned the villagers not to welcome the opposition in Omorto
village anymore. He said that, when NADD came to Omorto, Sidia Jatta told
him to join with them, hence he was a PPP supporter and that PPP is now
NADD. "I told him in front of my wives that I will never support the
opposition, not today and not tomorrow," he said. Mr. Jassey accused the
UDP/NRP of political hypocrisy by trying to mix up the Chief and the APRC
candidate. He lamented that UDP/NRP are fabricating and scandalizing false
stores that if Jung Conteh wins, he will sack the Chief, as he and the Chief
are enemies.

Meanwhile, the APRC campaign entourage for the Kombo East by-election has
accused the teachers for involving themselves in politics and siding with
the opposition. The alledged involvement of teachers for sympathizing with
the opposition was mentioned by the Narang Ward councilor, Ebrima Kujabi, at
a political rally at Omorto village, in Kombo East. Councillor Kujabi
narrated that, teachers told students to steal their parents' voter's cards
if they are supporting the APRC. He said that teachers are siding with the
opposition because there is an opposition candidate who is a teacher.
Councillor Kujabi said that a student was caught stealing his parents'
voter's card, and later confessed that, he was advised by his teacher to do
so. A nominated Member of Parliament, Majanko Samusa, threatened the
teachers that they will be taken to an unknown location if caught doing
politics. Samusa challenged the teachers who want to be politicians to
resign and join politics before poisoning the minds of their students
instead of teaching them what they are supposed to learn. "If anybody is not
afraid of President Jammeh, the NIA will soon lay their hands on you; then
nobody will tell you to respect Jammeh," he said. He told parents to advise
their children to report any teacher who is asking them to steal their
parents' voter's cards.

*NADD HOLD MEETINGS IN KOMBO EAST*

*By Sarjo Camara Singhateh*

The National Alliances for Democracy and Development (NADD) on Tuesday
2ndMay 2006 held a meeting in Mandina-ba, Kombo East.

Speaking at the meeting, Mr. Suwaibou Touray of the NADD party urged the
electorate to vote for Mr. Momodou Lamin Touray, the candidate for NADD in
the by-election scheduled for 14th April.

He pointed out that the only way to do away with the extreme poverty in the
country is to dislodge the APRC party from office.

He informed the people about the importance of a National Assembly
representative especially if the person is conscious or aware of the
realities of the nation. He said that the APRC government has taken loans
within a short period of 12 years amounting to 19 billion dalasis.

He said the APRC government found only three billion dalasis as external
loan for the country in 1994. He said what should be collected from
taxpayers this year alone amounts to three billion and eight hundred million
dalasis or three thousand eight hundred million dalasis.

This money, he said, is what should be utilized to develop the country for
just this year.

Mr. Touray also spoke about the role of the Area Council and stated that the
tax money that is annually collected by the Area Council is more than one
hundred million dalasis. He explained that this should have been utilised to
build nursery schools for Mandinaba and other communities, build some roads,
build small clinics along other but as he said no one can tell him a single
project, no matter how small it is, which is carried out by the Brikama Area
Council in any of the villages that we have gone to in Kombo East.

He quoted Yankuba Touray as saying that the government cannot buy farmer's
groundnut but Suwaibou said the government has bought Mariatou Beach Hotel
for D45 million and took money to refurbish the same hotel now called Ocean
Bay for over three hundred million dalais. Mr. Touray then asked how long
would it take Ocean Bay Hotel to make profit to recover the three hundred
and forty-five million dalasis?

He also asked why the Government cannot take those money to buy all the
groundnuts, sell it, make profit quickly, return the money to state coffers
and use the profit to build roads, health centres and other social amenities
without having to take more loans. He said this is why there is too much
suffering in the country.

He called on the people to be careful as to who they elect as their
representative. He advised the people to elect someone who is honest,
sincere, trustworthy and prudent; not some one who is greedy and selfish.

In another development, the NADD held another meeting at Tungina where the
candidate Mr. Momodou Lamin Touray spoke about his role as a National
Assembly Member if elected.

Mr. Touray told the crowd that he hopes the people of Tungina will vote for
him. He promised to work hard in the interest of the people of Kombo East,
if elected.

Mr. Touray said as a politician who is backed by intellectuals with wide
experience, he is sure to represent his people efficiently.

NADD IS THE TRUTH AND THE ONLY SOLUTION

It has now become clear to most Gambians including even stanch supports of
APRC that NADD, National Alliances for Democracy and Development, is the
only party among all the political parties in The Gambia, at the moment that
has answers to the problems confronting our country and her people. This was
evident in a News Up-beat, a GRTS Radio programme on Saturday 29th April
2006, where the National Mobiliser for the APRC, Yankuba Touray, and the
Campaign Manager for the UDP, Femi Peters, were invited. The APRC National
Mobiliser and the SOS for Agriculture said that groundnut marketing is not
the business of the Government. According to him it is not the business of
their government to buy the produce of the farmers.  He said that it is the
responsibility of the private sector to do so. He claimed that the
Government did not have the resources to purchase the produce of the farmers
and that was why in the Appropriation Bill (or Budget Estimates) tabled
before the Parliamentarians no allocation was mad for that purpose. He
indicated that to purchase all the groundnuts of the farmers could cost the
Government about four hundred million dalasis (D400, 000,000), which it
done, would negatively impact on other significant sectors, such as health
and education and the construction of roads. Similar excuses were given
about the reliabilitation of the GPMB. Even after he was reminded by one of
the callers about the suggestions made by one of NADD's National Assembly
Member, Honourable Sidia Jatta that the government could take the people's
money from the National Coffers to buy the groundnuts of the farmers, then
sell it to the world market within months and that the profit could be
invested back into agriculture in the form of fertilizer for formers,
pesticides, and farming implements, the National Mobiliser of the APRC and
SOS refused to acknowledged the brilliance of the idea.   Instead he
insisted that it is not the responsibility or the business of their
Government to buy groundnuts. He said that their role is only to facilitate
the marketing process.

This clearly shows that after being in charge of the affairs of the country
for over ten years now, the APRC Government does not have a solution to this
significant problem. For our ten years under APRC administration, the
marketing of farmers' produce has been left in the hands of private
companies and the government has been playing the role of facilitating but
the problem only persists. How long must this significant problem be left in
private hands before a solution could found? The farmers have taken their
only means of livelihood to the seccos (buying centres) several months ago
and up to now they cannot have their money. Even if you have schools and
hospitals and roads which their Government regards as more important than
the marketing of groundnuts, what use can they be to the farmers? Are they
not going to buy most of the medicines prescribed for them from private
Pharmacies even after visiting the hospitals you talked about? Are they not
going to pay road tax and transport fares when travelling on those roads?
How could they educate their children if their produce is not bought?  How
do you expect them to survive? Yes! you can say that education and the
health sectors will be affected if Government takes public money to buy the
produce of the farmers, but why did you not say a similar thing when the
salaries of you the Secretaries of State and the President were being
doubled, when you were buying those expensive limousines costing millions of
dalasis and when you were putting aside one hundred and eighteen million
dalasis (D118, 000, 000) just for the hosting of the African Union Summit?

You should have also thought about the groundnuts of the farmers when you
were such decisions. NADD is saying that instead of the wastage or taking
forty five million dalasis (D45, 000,000) and three hundred million dalasis
(D300, 000, 0000 from the accounts of the Social Security and Housing
Finance Co-operation for the purchasing and refurbishment of a hotel which
could take years if not decades before the money invested could he
recovered, not to talk of making profits, use it to buy the produce of the
farmers and sell it on the world market. You can take a part of that profit
from the sale of groundnuts to buy fertilizers, pesticides and farm
implements and sell them to the farmers at a low cost; that you could also
take part of the profits to invest in light scale industries to add value to
farmers' produce to be sold to home consumers and for exportation. In this
way, jobs can be created for the youths with the establishment of industries
and foreign currency earned through the exportation of our value added goods
thereby strengthening our national currency (the Dalasis) and ensure food
self sufficiency for the country and save our people from unnecessary
poverty and hardships.

The President said in his address to the Nation during their so called ten
thousand man march against coups d'etat in Africa, that he does not share
the same view with the organizers of the march and those present. To the
dismay of the people he expressed his support for coups that he said are
geared towards saving a country from the brink of catastrophe and went
further to state that he can be overthrown by force of arms if he betrays
the interest of the Nation. He informed the people that he is not going to
hand over their country unless he is finished with whatever he wanted to do,
which he said will take him at least another thirty years. Jammeh must have
forgotten that the position he held as a President is one of trust. When he
stood before the Nation with the Holy Quran in his right hand and swore that
he would administer the country according to the Constitution, which is the
will of the people without fear or favour, affection or ill will, the people
have that trust in him that he would do exactly what he swore to do. They
could never have imagined that he would do otherwise as that would
tantamount to the betrayal of the people.

It is clearly stated in the constitution that The Gambia is a Sovereign
Republic; that "the sovereignty of The Gambia resides in the people of The
Gambia from whom all organs of Government derive their authority and in
whose name and for whose welfare and prosperity the powers of government are
to be exercised in accordance with the Constitution." The President is now
telling the people that power belongs to him and he hands over to the people
whenever he wishes. One wonders what must have happened to his slogan "power
to the people" which he has been shouting from rooftops when he took over
twelve years ago, or has he buried that six feet deep once he tasted the
sweet (toxin) of power?

The constitution says that a member of the Independent Electoral Commission
may be removed from office for inability to perform the functions of his or
her office arising from infirmity of mind or body or from any other cause,
if any circumstances arise which would have disqualified him or her from
appointment to the commission, or for misconduct. But that before removing a
member, the Chief Justice shall appoint a tribunal of three judges of a
superior court to enquire into the matter and report the facts; that a
member of the commission shall be entitled to appear and be legally
represented before the tribunal. Is that how the President has conducted
himself. The Constitution states that any person who is arrested or detained
upon reasonable suspicion of his or her having committed, or being about to
commit a criminal offence under the laws of The Gambia, and if not released,
he or she shall be brought without undue delay before a court and in any
event, within seventy-two hours. It goes further to state that if any person
arrested or detained as mentioned above is not tried within a reasonable
time, then without prejudice to any further proceedings which may be brought
against him or her, he or she shall be released either unconditionally or
upon reasonable condition including, in particular, such conditions as are
reasonably necessary to ensure that he or she appears at a later date for
trial or proceedings prelimary to trial. In violation of the Constitution,
the President is allowing people to be arrested and detained for weeks and
months without o appearing before a court. The Constitution states that a
Member of the National Assembly shall vacant his or her seat in the National
Assembly on the dissolution of the National Assembly; if any circumstances
arises that, if he or she were not a member, would cause him or her to be
disqualified for election as a member; if he or she resigns his or her
office as a member; if he or she ceases to be a member of the political
party of which he or she was a member at the time of his or her election; if
having been elected a member as an independent candidate and he or she joins
a political party; if, being a member representing a single seat
constituency, he or she is recalled by the electorate of the constituency in
accordance with an act of the National Assembly; if without the permission
in   writing of the Speaker or reasonable cause, he or she is absent from
ten or more sittings of the National Assembly during any period that the
National Assembly is in session and continues to meet. The President is
saying that because he nominates people to the National Assembly, he could
remove those people anytime he wishes in contravention of the constitution.
The constitutional and human rights of the people were violated and every
aspect of their lives is becoming more and more difficult. One may now ask
if these actions are not a betrayal of the people.

The people are the sovereign owners of the country. They are the owners of
power, which they can entrust to any person or group of people whom they
think could exercise it to promote their welfare and prosperity. If they
felt betrayed by them, there was no need to resort to arms to remove them.
They have their votes, which are their voices and power, which are more
effective and powerful than guns and bullets. They could use their votes to
remove and replace them with others who are trustworthy.

NADD is saying that it's President is going to stay for only one five year
term, and at the end of his term, he/she shall step down and shall not side
with any party or support the candidature of any individual. There shall be
a constitutional arrangement under the Alliance, which will limit the number
of terms a person can occupy the Office of President of the Republic to only
two. The NADD President will not and cannot act as a lord over the people
and hold the country hostage. Whatever he does must be done in partnership
with the other members of the Executive and in accordance with the rule of
law. He cannot make any decision of his own regarding the administration of
Government and the country. All decisions must be reached through consensus.
Under the NADD Government all retrogressive laws made by the APRC Government
such as the Indemnity Act which gave the President the power to pardon
security officers who killed students will be replaced with more progressive
ones. The people will have the power to elect their representatives at all
levels of society. Their representatives shall be accountable to them for
all their actions. They shall be their servants. The public media shall be
utilized to enlighten the people about their rights and duties as citizens
of a sovereign state and they shall be assisted to master the science of
state administration to make them the architects of their own destiny. The
future that NADD envisages for our dear motherland is as bright as the
midday sun. Just play your part by voting it into office come the elections
and confine the APRC to the waste bin of history. Let unity, Democracy and
Development prevail. The truth has come and falsehood must vanish. Falsehood
is too weak to withstand truth.

KEBBA YORRO MANNEH ARRESTED

Information reaching this paper has it that the Secretary General of the
embryonic National Salvation Party, Mr. Kebba Yorro Manneh, has been
arrested by the Bansang Police. Talking to this reporter over the phone, Mr.
Manneh asserted that he was arrested by the Police at his mother's home town
(Keseri Kunda) in CRD, when he was with his family members. He told this
reporter that he has not been charged by the Police. When this reporter
contacted the Police PRO, Aziz Bojang, he told the reporter that he could
not confirm the arrest of Kebba Yorro Manneh because the place of alledged
arrest (Bansang) is far from where he was (Banjul).

On Tuesday morning, Foroyaa learnt that Mr. Manneh was released on bail and
asked to report on bail.

*TREASON TRIAL*

The trial of 17 persons charged with treason and conspiracy to commit
treason was to be held at 2pm at the high Court in Banjul Yesterday. The
trial is to be presided by Justice Monagen.

Foroyaa will be monitoring the trial closely and reporting regularly on its
proceedings. See the next issue for a report on Yesterday's proceedings.

*NYABALLY STILL DETAINED*

Alhagie Nyabally, who was arrested by The National Intelligence Agency in
April, is still under detention. He has still not been taken to court or
released as required by the constitution. Our information is that he is yet
to be charged. Mr. Nyabally who graduated from the University of The Gambia
recently is the Former President of The Gambia Students Union, GAMSU. His
family are worried about his plight.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい