GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:42:55 EST
Ndey,

The wollof call it "munge". In other words, stay in the marriage no matter
how badly you are treated. No doubt, women have it worse in Africa than anywhere
else, and you are so right, it is a double standard that men will not allow
their daughters to be abused, yet they abude. However, not even all women have
male family members to protect them from this terrible ordeal. It si not just
the physical or verbal abuse either, it is also econiomic abuse as well as the
fact that men can literally just use and throw away women and replace them
with another one without then having any recourse. How many of us have seen this
happen?
One thing to note is that as we have been having thsi exchange, aside from
Habib, I see that none of the brothers on this list have said a thing. The view
with our men has always been that any woman advocating for fair and better
treatment of women is a radical trouble maker. There also seesm to be an
insecurity issue where men feel threatend when we bring up these issues. I often ask
myself who should feel threatened, those who do the abuse or the ones who are
at the receiving end of it?
Unless we are ready to address this issue facing us as a society, it will be
hard for us to have faith when our brothers tell us they are fighting for
justice and equality for all.
There is no justification for abusing someone and unless we discuss it
openly, the problem will linger.

Jabou Joh