GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 01:07:00 +0000
Yaa Haruna,
Please allow me to perform two rakas first! D5million!:

Allah, The All- Knowing and Compassionate, kindly give me light and
guidance! Keep me on the straight and narrow, that i may not fall into
temptation, making my own that which belongs to my people(Not to me)!

Well Ron, I am just one other post-bac. Your loud thoughts on folk like
myself goes:
"The post-baccalaureate subscribers can use it to post their theses to be
unread or mis-understood." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:)!!!!
Was that bringing out the best in people like me?:)hahahaha!!

So, no thesis writing here! I trust you know the answers to your questions.
Have a great day tomorrow when we shall wake up to a calm List!
Sanyang.

Lamin,

Thank you. It was a pleasure reading you. Sarcastic enough but not
condescending, intelligent enough but understand your limitations, Sincere
in your commentary but with a generousity of spirit. I join you in wishing
Bekai a speedy recovery.

You have opened up an area where all of us can be valuable and not be seen
as being apologetic or apathetic. I would love for us to continue discussion
(not debate lest Edi gets any funny and wide-eyed ideas) in the area of
healthcare and its delivery with specific reference to Gambia. I believe you
may have a lot to offer. I hope you will oblige. I promise I will not
mention Jammeh or APRC in a derogatory or non-factual manner in this
discussion. Are you game?

I do know that medicine, like numerous other professions everywhere in the
world would have certain canons or professional oath for their apprentices.
And yes the language may vary but the essence is similar.

So since all doctors and aspiring doctors are, at some point in their
career, exposed to some oath or the other, efficient delivery of healthcare
in a particular country is is not dependent on oath. I think you agree. I
also understand that the importation of doctors from cuba has a lot to do
with their success in cuba. I tend to believe that there are certain
services in a country that can only best be undertaken by its citizens or
naturalized citizens. For example; Healthcare, water treatment and
distribution, sewerage, military service, police, Judge, Jury, and
ambassador. There may be a few more but I wish to focus on Healthcare. The
reason I hold this belief is that in addition to the professional oath,
familiarity and intelligibility (ability to communicate with your audience)
are crucial.

First I guess I would ask you if you think there is anything fundamentally
wrong with healthcare delivery in the Gambia. If you thought so, then let's
say you are in charge of Healthcare delivery in The Gambia - from
construction to staffing and accessibility. Say your budget is not much
5million Dalasis say. Could you share with us how you would proceed to staff
and equip them ready to serve your fellow citizens. Let us only consider the
current resources in the Gambia in this area.

Les plus importants transformations sont les modifications accidentelles".
Yours truly - Haruna