GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:46:41 -0400
Brother Saiks,
Do not mind this Sukuru Kunda man or should I say, Duta Kuruto man for
he is trying to provoke the Baddibunkas. Emman, while today's Sarahules
may be trail-blazers in their own right as far as  hustling/Babylon/New
York is concerned, evidence suggest that the Baddibu Mandings were in
some ways the early vanguard in this Jula culture along the Gambia
River. Perhaps one can speculate that the Sarahules and later the Torode
/Tukulorr (all three share the same tradition), only helped the
Baddibunkas find their long lost  tradition.

Basss, my concern about the partnership between Madrid and Banjul to
stem what the Daily Observer called "illegal emigration" is that of the
unintended consequences. I am sure many in Banjul will agree that the
quest for greener pastures in the west was and still major cooling
factor in the Gambia. If any I see the NERVES syndrome (the hope that if
one dreams/works hard enough one will succeed in traveling to Babylon to
achieve those things denied to them in the Gambia)  as a useful
distraction for our youth, a pressure release valve so to speak,
preventing things from blowing over the top. Closing the border without
adequate alternatives could be like shutting the release valve of a
pressure cooker. The reality is, with Gambia's cash crop agriculture all
but collapsed, rising enrollment at primary and secondary  schools
without matching post secondary enrollment rates, emigration to anywhere
but Gambia presents the only viable chance for over 650,000 young adults
who in the next 10 years will be faced with life in the Gambia, without
adequate education or jobs. Yes, our economy may be growing but I do not
think it is capable of absorbing 35,000 new entries each year.

While the 1 million Euro could go some ways to help, the Gambia needs
the J.F. Kennedy equivalent of putting man on moon vision when it comes
to education and poverty alleviation. To do that we need resources to
train at least 10,000  young Gambians  per year by 2015. While that is
going the government should extend this partnership with Spain to
include other European countries to provide temporary work visa to every
graduate who needs it. In return every one who goes through the process
must pay 10 to 15% of their annual earning into an education fund. To
ensure all who leave eventually return, the government should allocate a
plot of land for primary dueling to all who want to return and with
condition that it is build within 3 to 5 years (before the end of the
temporary visa).

The overall benefit are clear. With training and opportunity for legal
employment in the West within reach, few would want to risk their lives
to reach the tomato fields in Spain. 10% annual income paid back to the
education fund will ensure program to be free of future costs to the
public. In addition moneys sent home to develop the land allocated and
tax to be assessed  will surely benefit many more people. The other
benefits will be to get graduates do 2-3 years teaching while they wait
for placements/visas.

Yes, we need real dough and commitment to get this monster machine
started but aren't we putting man on the moon?

Malanding

BASS DRAMMEH wrote:

>You know,in all fairness,it is not only the Tukolors that have refused to
>eat the Mono, but my own children have followed suit,one reason why I packed
>my bags and came to Sukuru Kunda,since no real sarahuleh can survive without
>their daily dose of this porridge.Now the transformed Tukulors and the
>half-Sarahuleh, half Americans can eat their pop tarts in faraway
>Babylon,and we the blue blood Sarahulehs can eat our monos in Sukuru Kunda.
>
>On a different note,I am a little bit confused about Emman.First, his name
>and surname sound more Saudi than Gambian.Then came his first response which
>seemed to indicate that he was a mankanaso person.And now this second
>response of his insinuates that he is a member of my clan.Am baffled! Can he
>tell me where he really belongs.Because I know for a fact that if you deduct
>the mankanaso contents from both Mr. Samateh and Dr. Jaiteh the sum will be
>naught.But am not so sure the same equation applies to Emman Sallam.
>
>Regards Basss

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい