GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:36:35 EST
Mr Conteh,

I join others in thanking you and Mr Jallow for following through on this
effort with Rust college. I also appreciate the tuition waivers for Gambians
at the college, and your reminder that it is essentila for us to educate our
young people if we are to have a viable future.
Regarding the comment by Dr Stovall that he is aware that the regime at home
os repressive, my asnwer to that is, if he was aware of this, then what was
he doing inviting Tombong Saidy and Yankuba Touray to address this gathering,
and what is he doing entangling himself with this regime? I think Stovall
also needs to  tell us just how he acquired the African Village Hotel. Was it
a reward for cosying up to the regime, or did he purchase it as a business
venture independent of the regime?
We must remember that it is one thing to just pay lip service to something,
and quite another to actively refuse to lend support ot a brutal regime.
Stovall had to say all the right things so as to not get in toruble with
using his position to acquire property from oppressive regimes, and
endagering the studensts he took to the Gambia by involving them in visits to
the dictator.
Let us be appreciative of what the college is doing for our students, but we
must also be careful not ot have Stovall and his likes pull the wool over our
eyes. His statements about the regime and his dealings with them are not
consistent at all.
Again, thanks to both of you for going to the college to represent Gambia.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 1/18/01 9:57:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,