GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 05:22:34 GMT
Jamila,

Welcome aboard! I saw and heard your friend Kwame Toure (Stokely) speak at
UDC in the Spring of '93. The man's intellect and courage are worth
emulating.

Regarding your little experience in the Gambia, there isn't much news there.
What we have in the Gambia is a shameful situation in that any boffoon in
uniform can take the law into his/her hands with impunity. It's perfectly in
line with the m.o. of the powers that be. The only solution is to have in
place a government that respects the rule of law - especially the rights of
citizens to pursue their legitimate livelihoods without any fear of violence
from agents of Big Brother. Until then, we won't see an end to this
incessant and outrageous abuse of basic civil liberties. You're simply
wasting your time looking for someone within government who would be willing
to seek redress for your friend Ceesay. Very high profile opponents of the
government have been detained, beaten and tortured by government-sanctioned
thugs (aka NIA agents.) Nothing came of it. So, what makes you think the
abuse of a Bumster matters to the Gambian authorities?
You're absolutely right about the racist angle, but considering how we
Africans treat each other, I won't complain about that at all.

Saul.