GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:08:15 EDT
<<  ||           ||  o   ||
                 _o_,_\ ,;:   .'_o_\ ,;:  (_|_;:  _o_,_,_,_;
                (  ..  /     (_)    /            (        .
                           Bismillah irRahman irRaheem
            In the Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Kind
 Reference & Source: -source: http://www.ConvertsToIslam.org
 (redistributed with permission and encouragement to spread islamic
 knowledge, insh Allah!)

  THE GRADES OF SALAAM

 There are several forms of exchanging salaam. Each has
 its grade which corresponds to the extent of the phrase.

 There is a Hadith where Imran Ibn Hussayn (may Allah
 be pleased with him) narrated that:

 "A man came to the Prophet  and said, 'assalaamu
  alaykum!' The Prophet  returned his greeting and
  when the man sat down, the Prophet  said: 'Ten.'
  Another man came and said: 'assalaamu alaykum wa
  rahmatullah.' to which the Prophet  also responded,
  and when the man sat down, He said 'Twenty.' Another
  man came and said: 'assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi
  wa barakatuh.' The Prophet  returned his greeting,
  and after the man sat down, he said: 'Thirty." (Abu
  Dawud and Tirmithi)

 "The Hadith has been interpreted to mean that the
 minimum form of the Islamic greeting which is acceptable
 is "assalaamu alaykum" and one is rewarded ten good
 deeds for saying it. The second grade, adding "wa
 rahmatullah", raises the reward to twenty good deeds.
 The best grade of salaam is "assalaamu alaykum wa
 rahmatullahi wa barakatahu", and this is worth thirty
 good deeds.

 The response to the greeting is similar in form and
 rewards. The least one could say is "Wa
 alaykum-us-salaam" and the best response is: "Wa
 alaykum-us-salaam wa rahmatulahi wa
 barakatahu".

 In the time of the Prophet  the Sahabah (companions
 of the Prophet ) would compete with each other, to
 see who could give salaams first.
 The Prophet  said:

 "The best of the two persons is the one who begins with
 salaam." (Related by Nawawi in his book Al-Adkar)

 "The Prophet  was asked: 'O Messenger of Allah !
 When two persons meet with each other, who should
 take the lead in greeting the other? He answered: 'The
 one who is closest to Allah." (Tirmithi)

 The Prophet  said:

 "The person closest to Allah is the one who precedes
  others in greeting." (Abu Dawud)

 THE ISLAMIC RULING ON SALAAM

 Initiating salaams is considered 'Sunnah' or optional,
 returning the salaams after it is offered is considered
 'wagib' or obligatory, based on the first Qur'anic ayah
 mentioned. Islam also encourages people to offer the first
 greeting as mentioned in the Hadiths mentioned
 previously.

 The Prophet  was asked about the most appropriate
 way to give salaams as shown in the following Hadith:

 Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) says that a man
 asked the Prophet :

 "O Messenger of Allah , when any one of us meets a
 Muslim brother or a friend then should he bow his head
 (as a sign of courtesy to him)?' He said: 'No.' The man
 said: 'Should he embrace him?' He said: 'No.' The man
 then asked: 'Should he clasp his hands?' He said: 'Yes."
 (Tirmithi)

 Unfortunately, now in our community Muslims have
 adopted other methods of giving salutations, and as we
 can see in this Hadith, The Prophet  was very precise
 about how salaams were to be given.

 We as Muslims, should remember that Prophet
 Muhammad  is the best example for us to follow in all
 aspects of our life, and we should be careful not to add
 anything new to the Deen of Islam, for fear of implying
 that the Prophet Muhammad  did not complete his
 mission.

 As Allah (Most Exalted is He) says in the Qur'an:

 "You have indeed in the Messenger of
 Allah, a beautiful pattern for anyone whose
 hope is in Allah and the Last Day."

  (Qur'an, Al-Ahzab 33:21)

  The Messenger of Allah  said:
 "I have not left anything which Allah (Most Exalted is He)
 ordered except that I have ordered you with it, nor
 anything that Allah forbade you, except that I forbade
 you from it." (Buhaiqi)