GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 02:02:42 EDT
In a message dated 06/05/2001 14:45:41 GMT Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> << Hamjatta, I must congratulate you for an excellent piece. Your
> observations
> reflect the views of many and **that's what I've been trying to explain**.
> The
> UDP has woefully failed to explain to the electorate what it will do for
> them when elected into office. Like I've said before, here you have a party
> of intellectuals who cannot even develop a good strategy that can appeal to
> even our educated folks down here. Had they done that, those people would
> have really helped spread their message. A good indication of that is the
> very limited number of people living here, who bother to try to defend them
> even in cyberspace.
>
> Have a good day and bye 4Now, KB Jobe. >>

"Jobe",
Another off-the-wall-nonsense. You and i are not saying the same thing. I
dare say that your intervention was mere attempts to mischieviously implant
in the minds of my compatriots that my constructive criticisms are akin to
the destructive ones you have peddled here so far. Unlike you, i believe that
the UDP leadership has the calibre to LEAD. I believe that albeit Darbo's
past political mistakes, he is at heart a good decent man who would NEVER
give orders to security forces to callously shoot at unarmed young school
kids. I believe that the UDP leadership is comprised of men of decency,
tolerance and refined intellect. The only difference i have largely with them
is that i believe sometimes they send the wrong signals to Jammeh and the
rest of the country. This is not a fatal failing and can be rectified. Also i
believe i hold more "radical" views on Jammeh and think that Darbo should be
using not more fiery rhetoric in his messages against the Dictatorship but
prepared to play resolutely the an-eye-for-an-eye tactic - when the situation
calls for it. Aside, perhaps the biggest difference between us is an
ideological one which can never be finessed by short termist political
expediency. This is a matter of personal choice and not something you or your
likes should see as material for mischief-making.

On a related topic, i was quite bemused to read in your final submission of
May 04 2001,  15:16:48 GMT Daylight Time, your reasons for preferring the