GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:57:12 -0400
Mr. Sidibeh,

My apology if my last posting baffles you in any way; atleast that was
never my intention.  However, reading through your rejoinder I realized
that we are somehow expressing almost the same sentiments yet with
different categories.  I am in no way advocating for war nor inciting
belligerence in any fashion.  Yet Mr. Sidibeh I want you to notice
that "good neighbourliness" whatever that means also requires very
solid good "fences".  That freak Yalla or whoesever for that matter
should never threaten a sovereign state- and this is my central theme
of my advice to Jammeh.  An unsecure state can never be able to feed
itself much more talk about peace.  Weakness is sexy and quite inviting
to aggression, the last thing any patriotic Gambian wants in his or her
neighborhood.  Naturally there is nothing wrong with exploiting
the "diplomatic channel" as you call it, yet a sound diplomatic effort
should always be complimented with a strong military preponderance.
Otherwise all the "diplomatic talks"  shall be effete and hopeless.
You know like I said in another forum,  I was at a seminar this last
weekend in Washington and I witness the Senegalese Ambassador making
some subliminal overtures to acquire more arms for the Senegalese
military- my brother, does this sound like "good neighbourless"?

Statecraft is a serious business, and it doesn't rhyme well with
wishfull thinking.  Our patriotic commitment requires that we defend
our Motherland against all enemies foreign and domestic be it Samba or
Kumba Yalla.  It takes a strong military to get this job done.

Ebou