GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:43:35 PDT
William Njie,

I read your reaction to my piece titled "Two New Gambian Ambassadors Named",
and I am compelled to take issue with you, in order to set the records
straight.

However, before taking issue with Mr Njie, I must say that it is, indeed,
encouraging to note that Gambians have now become more critically minded,
more politically mature, more analytical and more dialectical.

Indeed, these are very encouraging signs and, for me, they typify a bright
and glossy future for our country. Consequently, let us continue to do more
and more reading; let us continue to pose more and more questions; let us be
more attentive, and do more listening, regardless of who is talking, so that
we would be better equipped to chart out the right/correct path our country
should take, especially at the dawn of the new millennium.

I am quite sanguine that if we, as Gambians, become more open minded and
more tolerant towards each other, regardless of our differences in beliefs
and opinions, there would only be one winner: that's our country, The
Gambia.

Politically, we may have major differences, in terms of how the Gambia
should be governed, but this shouldn't mean that we should see ourselves as
enemies, for, at the end of the day, we all want to see a more developed and
a more prosperous Gambia.

We should always remind ourselves that the Gambia does not belong to Mr
Jammeh alone; rather, it belongs to all of us. Therefore, all of us should
have a say, in terms of how our country should be run, or managed.

Let us continue the dialogue; let us continue to engage in healthy and
honest debates, so that what is wrong in our country is righted and what is
right is maintained.

Now, let me move to the issue at hand. William Njie, if I understood you
very well, your piece could be summed up as follows: Firstly, you wrote that
I had said that Maodo Touray and Essa Sey were "not qualified to be
(appointed) as ambassadors, without giving concrete reasons"...

Secondly, you urged me to try and "get the facts" and also to "make sensible
and reasonable recommendations"... In the case of Njogou Bah's withdrawal
from Paris as our ambassador, you urged me to try and "interview the parties
involved and (then) report my findings."

Lastly, you indicated that (based on my writings), it appeared to you that I
had something "personal against the government" - "a hidden agenda".

Well, with regard to your first point, I didn't say that these two people
are not qualified to be appointed ambassadors. In fact, I have no objection,
or reservation, as far as Maodo Touray's appointment is concerned. Belgium
is a key place, having in mind that the European Union is headquartered in
Brussels, and let's hope that Mr Touray would live up to the challenge and
do a good job for his country.

I know he is hard working, he's been in the Foreign Ministry for a long time
now, and he also speaks impeccable French. Yes, as for Essa Sey's
appointment, I did express my reservation, but I am not going to belabour
the point, before people think that there is something personal between Essa
and myself. Anyway, thankfully, Essa himself knows that I always speak what
is in my mind.

I know he, too, is smart and hard working, but if I, Ebrima Ceesay, were to
appoint an ambassador to such an important place like Paris, where the
ambassador also doubles as The Gambia's permanent representative to UNESCO,
it would be based on service, merit, experience, qualifications, tactfulness
and, of course, loyalty.

I know it is Jammeh's prerogative to appoint anyone he wants as ambassador,
but, in my view, Mr Jammeh needs to appoint seasoned/career diplomats as our
ambassadors, if he wants to project a good image of the Gambia and Gambians.
Let me give you an example to back my point.

Recently, our High Commissioner to the UK, John Bojang, unknowingly and
unintentionally uttered what was seen as "an insulting statement", during a
speech he was giving to a group of black British, who are planning to go to
the Gambia, later this month, for the Roots Homecoming Festival.

Among other things, the ambassador had said: ..."Slavery was a blessing for
the black people"....

Believe me, this statement angered so many black people here. In fact, many
of the black newpapers here had reported it. Out of respect for those black
British on the L, I am not going to repeat everything the High Commissioner
said.

People on the L, who are interested in knowing what and what the ambassador
had said, can contact the editor-in-chief of the London-based Mano Vision
Magazine, one of the publications that covered the story, for the full text
of High Commissioner Bojang's speech. The editor's e-mail is

I know, for a fact, that Mr Bojang didn't intend to insult, or offend the
black people here. I believe he made these "insulting remarks"
inadvertently, although the damaged had already been done. But this is the
price you pay if you do not appoint tactful people, or seasoned diplomats,
as ambassadors.

I can bet that Baboucarr Blaise Jagne in New York, Bai Ousman Secka being
currently wasted as a Commissioner in Mansa Konko, Njogou Bah or O.G Sallah,
would never make such a diplomatic blunder.

Regarding your second point, Mr Njie, I can tell you that when it comes to
getting the facts, I am very good at it. I hardly write and people challenge
the facts. You can do your own investigation in this regard. Of course, I am
not perfect, so I am bound to make mistakes, once in a while.

In fact, the NIA had to contact a particular government minister about me,
thinking that this minister was the one leaking confidential government
secrets to me.

Of course, Mr Njie, I would want to interview Njogou Bah, or his wife, about
what actually happened in Paris, but you know in your heart and in your
mind, that the couple will never speak to me ON THE RECORD, because they
know what the consequences would be at home.

So even if one of them gave me an interview, I'll still quote "reliable
sources" if I were to write the story, because the moment I attribute the
story to them, they are in trouble.

As for your last point, I can guarantee you that I have nothing personal
against the government or Jammeh. Believe me, I have nothing  against Mr
Jammeh as a person. What I oppose, in the strongest terms, are Jammeh's
policies.

I believe his policies are retrogressing and furthermore, I, for one, am not
convinced that this current government is capable of addressing the needs
and aspirations of the Gambian People. This is Ebrima Ceesay's opinion,
which I am entitled to. Equally, you are also entitled to your opinion and
beliefs.

And I do not also have any hidden agenda. I don't know what the future holds
for me, but my wish is to continue in the role of a social watch dog, where
I am convinced I will play a far more effective role, because it is a field
where all my instincts drive me. But, of course, if people like Jammeh were
to remain in power, it should not surprise you, if I go into full time
politics.

By the way, I was told that Dr Saja Taal, permanent Secretary at the
Ministry of Education, had been sacked for the second time yesterday.
Interestingly, someone who read my piece on the above subject, told me
yesterday that these two latest ambassadorial appointments did not come the
him as a "surprise", because, as he put it, "the Civil Service is empty
nowadays".

This person added: "Most of the smart people in the Civil Service have been
sacked, or retired prematurely. In fact, there are so many vacant posts in
the Civil Service right now. You want qualified people to fill these posts,
you look around, and you wouldn't see anyone"...

Isn't it ironic that while we, in the Gambia, complain about lack of
teachers and doctors, and rely on volunteers from the US Peace Corps and the
British VSO, our own qualified people are offering their services to these
same countries.

African development will become a reality, if and only when we are able to
tap our rich human resources. The return or presence of such human resources
will serve as a leverage for accelerated development.

Finally, Mr Njie, if I do bore you with my postings, just use your delete
button.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK.