GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 18:54:00 -0500
Lazy Gambians,or failed policies

Is there any credible substance to such an accusatory statement from our Leader to us? In fact we all have had Gambians at Attaya vous, or through regular conversations to make joking statements like that. But is it really befitting for our Leader, the President, to resort to tactics of name-calling? When did he finally realize that Gambians are a lazy bunch?

Prior to 1994, President Jammeh was one of us, surviving on a meager salary from “Toubab Dokoo”. There was no Kanilai farm that has become the sample of success, and interestingly even NAM members tend to point out as the way forward, no zoo or Airplane to call his own. And now his success has become an indication of our laziness. It is sad that his failed policies that created the environment that cannot put Gambian to work is been glaringly overlooked, and a finger is directly pointed at us.

I know that my families are not lazy, and I would like to share some truth with President Jammeh. Gambians are not stupid, and are smart enough decision makers when it comes to their economic well-being. You can find them in the Americas and Europe, where real leaders have created economic environment, and Gambians are working two jobs to take care of their families at abroad and at home…. Lazy nah, not these people. In addition, in the good old days, before Alimenta was sent packing and the base of our economy completely collapsed, a trade season in the Gambia was a true trade season. Farmers were able to enjoy the true fruits of their labor. There was no credit buying—the infamous Note. Gambian farmers used to have a choice to where to sell their groundnuts, and cash is paid at point of sale. Yes, trade season was the day to remind every hardworking farmer why it was necessary to put in months of hard work, lazy nah. The revenue from their sale would be managed accordingly; rice, oil, tomatoes, new clothes for the family, a new radio set for socializing, and a small savings set aside for next year’s investment. You really expect people to go back to the farms when you cannot buy their harvest, while your cronies are looting the little wealth that we borrow, are you serious? Is that really fair? Please refrain yourself from calling us lazy, and try to deal with your own failure as a leader of our country, or then again you can always give us our country back.

Thanks
Musa JEng