GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:43:58 -0500
The following is culled from the Daily Observer
---------------------------

Monday , March 31st  , 2003

Scorpions Scare Senegal

World Cup quarter finalist, Senegal, were forced to look ordinary by a
determined Gambian side eager to break three decades of football jinx
between the two.

The Scorpions did not look very satisfied with a 0-0 draw, after growing
from underdogs to favourites in the 90 minute encounter but they have
however done
everything to prove they are no kick and push merchants.

The biggest ever clash between the two started with trouble in the hostís
area when the Lions earned a free kick after keeper, Pa Dembo Touray,
mistakenly collected the ball by hand from a back pass. The Lions shot the
set piece wide.

Pa Dembo went on to wade off that mishap with nerve-racking saves to deny
rampaging Henry Camara and a redoubled but docile El Haji Diouf all the way
through.

His opposite number and World Cup keeper, Tony Sylva, was far from normal
and could have created passage for the Scorpions first goal as Arthur Gomez
shuffled the ball from his feet to play wide. The Antwerp striker tormented
Sylva again with crashing shot which the Monaco keeper parried above the
post.

The Gambia set the pace for most of the first half, executing good passes
and creating chances. Aziz Corr Nyang, Ebou Sillah topped the list of the
Scorpions would-be goal scorers.

Senegal looked an improved side in the second half, which saw the arrival
of Diomansy Camara for his second cap. Along with fellow substitute, Pap
Bouba Dioup, the Lions created terrifying moments but an oiled defence
anchored by Kemo Ceesay nipped their efforts in the bud. The agile
defender, undoubtedly one of the most outstanding of the evening, had
himself rattled a header close enough to send the Lions packing.

A great performance that leaves the nation's pride intact kept indeed The
Gambiaís 5-goal difference lead of the group.

Reactions

Coach Guy Stephen said the match was difficult. The Gambian team is no easy
and we are glad that we got a draw.

As for Coach Sang Ndong, the match is one in which his squad lived up to
expectation. We should have come with a win. However, our spirit is still
high and we are still in contention.

Editorial

Super Scorpions!

Every Goliath, it is said, has a David and last afternoon, the gallant
Scorpions of The Gambia made a bold announcement that they are indeed
Scorpions that sting and guard their rear even against roaring Lions.

The goalless draw that the Scorpions pulled off against the Senegalese
Lions shows, among others, that our thrashing of Lesotho by 6 goals to nil
in the other encounter of the African Nations Cup qualifier was no fluke.

Although we were regarded the underdogs, the Senegalese did not regard the
encounter as a run-over and they came for the over kill. They fielded all
their big guns and fired on all cylinders. But the gallant Scorpions stood
their ground and put up a brickwall that just wouldnít be cracked.

To appreciate the extent of the feat the Scorpions pulled last afternoon,
one just has to consider the following facts: Senegal is arguably the best
side in the whole of Africa, from Cape to Cairo. This is the side that beat
World Cup defending champions, France; this is the team that has produced
the African Player of the Year last year and that will without a shadow of
a doubt, do the same this year. This is the team that has produced stars
who blaze in all the major leagues of Europe. Yet, all these Teranga stars
just couldnít shine in the blazing brightness of the Scorpions bravery.

Last afternoon, the Scorpions did not beat the Lions but they demonstrated
one thing and that is: Gambians are determined, proud and able. We can
stand up to the best in the world and hold our own.

Much of last afternoonís glory is owed principally to the hard work of our
players.

However, the great job done by Sang Ndong and his technical staff, the
moral support given by Gambian fans who came out in their thousands,
clapped and spurred on the boys, the GFA and President Jammeh need to be
acknowledged.

There are some lessons to be learnt from last afternoonís encounter. First,
when it matters, we Gambians have to come together.

Second, smallness in size could be greatness of ambition and determination.

Third, those who can should be asked to do it. Favouritism and cronyism
must be supplanted with talent and ability. If we want to be the best, we
must run all our endeavours as a meritocracy.

Finally, as we revel in our triumph, we must not be complacent, for many
hurdles lie ahead and the battle needs to be won. We must beat Senegal when
we go to Dakar in June or at least repeat last afternoons performance.

That and only that could guarantee our progress to the African Cup of
Nations in Tunisia next year.

Kemo, Seyfo Express Mixed Feelings

The Gambiaís rock midfield defender, Seyfo Soley, has maintained that
despite last nightís draw against Senegal. The Gambia still has good chance
to qualify for the 2004 African Nationsi Cup finals.

Seyfo who played with class in the match made these remarks in an interview
with Observer Sports. I am very confident of our qualifying because the
standard of football displayed by the team is excellent compared to the
Senegalese side who have reached the World Cup level.

When asked whether they will be able to win in Senegal, the Genk player
said it has to depend on the commitment of the team, banking on the
momentum gathered from last nightís game.

Seyfo scored a tantalising goal against Lesotho from a range of 20 yard in
Banjul back in October

However, Seyfo outburst of confidence is no consolation for Kemo Ceesay,
who though expressed happiness , is disappointed that the game ended all
square.

Kemo played his most impressive match last night. I am not happy about the
match. We should really have beaten Senegal, he said, almost in tears. He
said the fans are not prepared to settle for anything other than a win.

Group 8

Standings

             P W D L GF GA GD P

Gambia  2 1 1 - 6 - +6 4

Senegal  2 1 1 - 1 - +1 4

Lesotho  2 - - 2 - 7 - 7 0

Soa Tome Withdrawn

Full CAN 2004 Qualifying Results

Sierra Leone 0 - 0 Morocco

Gabon 4 -0 Eq. Guinea

Rwanda 0-0 Uganda

Malawi 0-1 Nigeria

Kenya 4-0 Mauritania

Tanzania 0-0 Zambia

Mauritious 0- 1 Eqypt

Capa Verde 2-0 Togo

Sudan 3-0 Benin

Zimbabwe 3-1 Seychelles

Ethiopia 1-0 Liberia

Eritrea 0-2 Mali

Swaziland 1-1 D R Congo

Mozambique 0-0 Burkina Faso

Burundi 0-1 Ivory Coast

Chad 2-0 Namibia

Guinea 2-0 Niger

Libya 0-0 Botswana

Unfinished Business

The wind of change is blowing. Our football is gradually carving a spot of
recognition on the continent.

Yesterday's game against Senegal must be seen in different perspectives. It
is the first time in many years that any Gambian team has so formidably
resisted and even cornered Senegal. From underdogs, the Gambian players
suddenly found themselves in a position to break the great Lions myth. They
fought like equals and scared the Senegalese.

However, the match should raise the level of our consciousness in football
management and make us take realistic approach to the task at hand.

Undoubtedly, our administrators are evidently euphoric and extremists in
the handling of many as aspects of the the organization of the match. The
rancour over press accreditation was very much unnecessary if proper advice
was sought and not imposed. The fans too were too expectant. The language
Win by force is too fanatical. There is no such thing in sports.

Analytically, we may have surprised Senegal but we still have to work hard
to be genuine contenders of the group winning slot. The strategy must be to
avoid defeat at all cost in the remaining two matches. It is only then that
our massive goal difference will be of any use.

It must be understood that the Lions have two home matches as opposed to
our two away matches. The only one near to easiness could be the match in
Lesotho.
The hapless Southern Africans are not likely to pose any threat and winning
them can see us through. So the strategy should be to beat Lesotho at all
cost, seek a draw in Dakar to finish at 8 points. If the Lions beat Lesotho
and draw against The Gambia, our goal difference, whatever changes it may
have then, could still break the tie. All said and done last night was a
golden chance to get us on the fast track to Tunisia.

Hence the sad mood of the players after the game.