GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 13:51:34 GMT
Bravo Oussou Njie senor and Elie Nachif! You guys are doing us proud.
Momodou Bojang.
--------------

Culled from gambianet.com

Anonym on Gambia’s pride - Yellowgate

Oussou Njie Señor’s Faateleku 1&2 has taken the torch where it hungered to
shine. Do we have to blind our eyes and block our ear holes to the
unshakable quality of Yellowgate Studios anymore? Even if we have to, the
porous seals of our ignorance will now refuse us that unforgivable sin.
Los Angeles’ based Anonym Records, the shielding record company to popular
Zimbabwean singer Thomas Mapfumo, have never been wrong in choice. They
choose by quality and accuracy of production.
Now, this is how Chief Executive Officer, Al Green, opens his heart:

In the course of my work with Zimbabwean musician Thomas Mapfumo, I have had
the opportunity of listening to a wide variety of recordings produced in
various parts of Africa and it has struck me that the quality is almost
always extremely poor. Part of the problem seems to stem from the lack of up
to date sound equipment. I am told that this problem is essentially pandemic
throughout the business community.

Somehow, Elie Nachif of Yellowgate Studios has broken this business model,
creating the best sounding African made recordings I have heard to date. His
sonic quality is easily on a par with recordings made anywhere in the
world... clean, crisp, and powerful. His work on the Best of Faateleku
project saved us hundreds of Dollars of mastering time, as it arrived at our
mastering lab with such a pristine sound that it was unnecessary to do much
to it at all to enhance it's quality. Elie has received numerous compliments
from our mastering engineer, Manny Rettinger, at Ubik sound, who has nearly
30 years of experience in the recording industry.

Like icing on a cake, Elie's subtle ability to blend digital synthetic
sounds with analog vocals and instruments is remarkable. Many musicians try
to use computers and synthesizers to make music, and the greater percentage
of those artists end up with canned sounds and stilted, repetitive phrases.
Elie, on the other hand, simply makes the music happen. This ability sets
him on a different plane.

The truth about music is simply this:
Music doesn't just happen; it must be made on the spot by the artist; second
for second, instant for instant, the artist must be connected to every
nuance of his or her craft, making every note and every silence as
meaningful as the last. In my opinion, Elie Nachif succeeds at this, because
he indeed is a gifted artist, who understands his craft.

Coupled with the ability to follow the production to the mastering stage,
this makes Yellowgate Studios the perfect choice for musical projects of any
kind. I only wish that Zimbabwe was right next door to The Gambia... we
would be booking time for Thomas Mapfumo regularly.

Thank you, Elie, for making my job that much easier.

Al Green
Director of Anonym Records
Anonymous Web Productions
Los Angeles – California