GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 09:36:53 -0400
Comrades:

If I were asked to assessed Gambia's political history and judge
the people admired most, I would not hesitate to name the late
Hon. Fa Kebba Nyama Leigh, Hon. MC Jallow, Hon Muhammad
Garba Jahumpa, Hon. Famara Wassa Touray, Hon. O. Jallow,
Hon. Yaya Ceesay, Hon. Sabally, and Hon. Krubally of Basse.  Why?

I chose these people because I personally met them even though
I was anti-PPP.  I fondly remember their willingness to listen and
appropriate diplomatic voices in responding to my queries.  These
folks were respectful.  Do you know that my own MP refused to
sign a declaration for me to get a passport?  Who came to my
rescue?  Hon. Fa Kebba Nyama Leigh.

During Sir Dawda's tenure, many politicians came and went.  Some
capitalized their political opportunity at the expense of the Gambian
people.  Some mortgaged their future and turned their backs on
the very principles that they stood for.

Under the APRC government a few Gambians were quick to embrace
the young soldiers.  Some of our current comrades danced with the
APRC at its infancy.  Some realized that their days
with the APRC government were things of the past.  They are now
part of our struggle.  Do we have the right to pass judgment on these
people?  Can we conclude with certainty that these folks are not sincere?

How can we make the Gambia democratic?  We have
to adjust our attitudes.  It is okay to disagree in principle.  But it is immature
to curse people that you disagree with.  How can you captivate the
audience when you are insensitive to their needs?  How can the audience
trust you when you are indifferent?  Respect is not given but it is earned.

I stand here today to evoke my political moderation.  I have no problem
with those who disagree with me.  I will be quick to condemn any Gambian
who resorts to insults because they disagree with what is said.

My candidacy asks that the journey be inclusive.  My candidacy advocates that
we are one Gambia and one tribe.  My candidacy condemns tribalism.  My
candidacy will openly address the sins of tribalism.  My candidacy is
approachable.

As we approach summer, I will be going to visit the Gambia after summer
school.  I will be holding meetings with opposition members.  I will
request permission from the APRC government to holding a meeting in
Brikama.

So as we debate issues relative to the Gambia, I appeal that we remain calm
and respectful.  If accusations are made against any Gambian, I request that
you be fair in analyzing the situation before concluding with insults.

My source tells me not to cut the hand that feeds me.  I replied in a nice
Gambia voice in affirming that request.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh