GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bamba Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 11:41:18 -0700
Harona,

Your suggestions to the solutions for the eradication of this brutal
practice echoes my feelings. Pseudo ceremonies like those practiced in some
parts of Eastern Africa is one of the most effective ways to stopping the
brutality. Your argument regarding the "ngansimbas" is factual. They rely on
these ceremonies for their livelihood (at least most of them do). So, it
will have to take a lot of effort to avert their (mis)conception of this
prcatice.
However, I found the following iteration from you to be quite inetersting:

"As an African and having hailed from a community <<whose very survival
depends on the practice of FGM,>>(my emphasis) I at times shy away from the
reality of the pain and suffering women/girls endour from circumcision
camps,hoping that will subside my fears and worries."

I may be missing something here but I find it difficult to see how a
communitys' survival can depend on FGM. Please enlighten me.

Enjoy your day.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
Toll-free number: 1-888-392-4832(Excite2)
Personal extension for v/mail/fax: 291-368-1519