GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:57:17 GMT
My fellow Gambians:

By the grace of God, my next Message (No 16) will focus on the rights and
expectations of ordinary Gambians. It will go as follows:

1.  An overview of the awful plight of Gambian citizens in terms of
government, judiciary, economy, social status, education, health,
infrastructure etc. etc.

2.  A closer look at what Gambians now have to contend with: I'll compare
this with what Gambians should be able to expect.

Oppression (failure to support opposition parties/politicisation of
media/ electoral interference)
Repression (in terms of lawlessness/government decrees/judicial
partiality/economic partiality)

Stagnation (in economic terms/in social terms/in infrastructural terms)

Economic decay - particularly at those areas where Government
works against smaller scale investment

Social disintegration - the increasing failure of government to take
note and act upon social needs and aspirations. This would include health,
education, transport, other social infrastructure.

3. Assuming people power: acknowledging that the ordinary citizen has a
variety of powers

4. Using the ballot box to best effect.

5. How can ordinary Gambians move the country on?

6. Gambians looking to their own personal future.

7. Using outside agencies to ensure that elections are free and fair
come next November.

8. Look again at what electoral power means, and set this against
the economic plight of our nation. What do the electorate need to put into
effect before the next elections. SO WATCH OUT FOR THE PIECE AND PLEASE DO
DISTRIBUTE THESE MESSAGES IN THE GAMBIA.

Ebrima Ceesay
Birmingham, UK.