GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:18:44 EST
Christina:
Please try to understand what I meant by the comments you highlighted before
jumping all over me.  I said, " I do not think most Americans equate Islam
with violence."  This IMO does not preclude that their are pockets out there
who have differing opinions.  This is to be expected.

On Bush's speech, of course it was political in nature.  As far as I am
concerned, any speech made by any leader in parliament is political.  The
point is that Bush used the most important address to the Nation since
Rooslevelt's declaration of war on Germany & Japan  during WWII to extol the
beauty of Islam, as well as explain to the people that this beef was not
against Islam.  This not even to mention the number of times he made the same
pt in interviews with the press etc.  So what if Imam Hamza Yusuf was there,
or Bush didn't write it?  Do you intend to tell me that because Bush didn't
write the speech, he and his administration had no input into its content?

I have heard some talk of how the religion oppresses women but not much about
it encouraging violence towards women.  But then again, I have never been to
small town Wisconsin