GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:33:09 EST
 In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

 AMC Update
 December 14, 1999

 President Clinton's Ramadan greetings

 (Washington, DC, December 14) - AMC commends President Clinton on his warm
 greetings to Muslims on the beginning of Ramadan.  Eid and Ramadan greetings
 were first issued by the president in the early 1990s.

 Comments on the Ramadan greeting may be sent to the White House at the
 addresses below.

 THE WHITE HOUSE
 December 9, 1999

 RAMADAN 1999

 Warm greetings to Muslims across America and around the world as you
 celebrate the start of Ramadan, a holy month of prayer, fasting,
 reflection, and good works.

 Islam is one of the world's most prominent religions and a source of
 profound strength and guidance for millions of Americans. Members of the
 Muslim American community have made enormous contributions to our national
 life. I am especially pleased that my alma mater, Georgetown University,
 has named its first Muslim chaplain, reflecting the increasing recognition
 in our country of the Islamic faith and our firm commitment to religious
 tolerance. Sadly, in too many communities around the world, Muslims and
 other believers are unable to worship according to their religious
 traditions. We look forward to the day when people of all faiths can
 freely express their beliefs without fear of persecution or discrimination.

 Each year, Ramadan brings a promise of renewal and hope for the world.
 I pray that, as the new moon rises, we will witness the beginning of a new
 era of tolerance around the globe. As the followers of Islam celebrate the
 revelation of God's word to Muhammad, we join you in honoring his call for
 harmony and peace.

 WILLIAM J. CLINTON

 CONTACT INFORMATION:

 The White House
 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
 Washington, DC 20500
 Tel: 202-456-1414
 Fax: 202-456-2461
 E-mail: [log in to unmask]
 CC: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]