GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elhajj Mustapha Fye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:54:00 +0200
Oko,
You are a Poet ! I would also congratulate you for the nice poem on " Nawet
". As Rene correctly said, your poem " when Nawet comes " covered  the
symbols, culture, songs, people and the environment that was characteristic
of a typical Nawet season in Banjul. You refered to patterns of human
activities and the symbolic structures that give such activities
significance. You forgot a popular song which was sang in Nawet

" Mam Yalla  sor-till  mbuss-mi,  Gorr gi  tegal  tama  gi ".  I will also
remind you about " Pa Machine ( Bokis ) & Ndengs " at Bond road.

We got most of the  " Laangeh "  for the Mbarr ri njulies   at the  Tan-ba
swamps at Bond road in half die

I am always impressed with your postings, because you remind us about our
culture. I was laughing throughout when I was reading your mail, because you
touch most of the funny things we did during " Nawet ".

" When nawet comes- it is around circumcision time
  It is the time that all the good singers come out in the Mbarr ri njulies
  Singing songd\s like
  1.Batcha Ni Mbarr
  2.Lambo-Njie
  3.Nak Yi Nyule yeah Joala,Tey ngen nan and
  4.Kanarra gui ngengal, etc and Tara rass nyarass !
   famous singers like Koto Ebou conteh, Mbye Sarr Hagan, Ousman Saine Hill
Street,
  Charlie Boy, Churchill Ngom, Kaliba joof and Koto Sawalo Faal. "

Yes Oko, you are right ! These were the most popular " Kassak singers " at
that time. In fact you gave me the inspiration to think, which scales should
march the following songs. I will start searching for the scales in all the
chromatics. Thanks for the good inspiration !

( I would hear the voice of Foday-Ba      singing:      "Bakari-Sai Bata
Min do ni sera shi" )

Foday-Ba was often at our house in Fayen, because Ya Ansu regularly kept
food for him as " Zakat ".

( Hah-Toh Solo and YoYo "Sahat Banku" )

I will never forget ( Hah -Toh solo ), because he gave me a mark on my leg
when he threw a fire wood on me. I was together with Bala Jahumpa when he
irritated him and ran away. He threw his fire wood towards Bala and missed
him, but it came direct on my leg.
I was also attacked one time by " Fine boy ( Larry Nyeh ) at Dobson st. and
we flew over the fences of Secken, Janneh Kunda, Sarren, Crayol Kunda,
Chamen and then into Fayen, where I was saved by all the youths of Fayen. He
then ran away, when stones went on him from all angles.
Thanks once again, for reminding us about our childhood days.

ISSA DINGLEE-WASA DANGLAR !

Elhaj Shabazz