GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:28:46 +0000
All, below are the reasons why we lost in Sare Ngai, according to the
Coalition Coordinator.  This is also a lesson for us out here, that those on
the ground need our contributions to win elections too.  Thus, I am
appealing to folks to join the STGDP in its campaign to raise funds for the
coalition.  Now matter what we do or say here, fine speeches and all, if we
fail to contribute financially to the campaigns, we loose, pure and simple.
The STGDP sent about D40,000, 99% coming from its associates for the Sare
Ngai campaign.  We banged doors on the post and L for contributions but all
doors remained closed.  Folks, we will loose in 2006 if we continue to do
that.  Yes, the people on the ground were complacent in organizing rallies
in many other places that they should have according to Halifa, but my
question is, where were they going to get the money to do just that when we
flatly refused or ignored all calls to contribute financially?  A word to
the wise is sufficient and I hope we pay heed.  please continue.

Halifa: Sare Ngai defeat, a lesson for Coalition
By Yusuf Ceesay & Sanna Jawara
Oct 22, 2004, 18:04

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Halifa Sallah, the coordinator of the opposition coalition has said that the
defeat of Karamo Touray in the Sare Ngai ward by-election is a wake-up call
for the coalition.

Speaking to the Daily Observer at his offices yesterday, Mr Sallah said “the
opposition coalition has learned its bitter lesson in Sare Ngai for not
conducting too much of mass political rallies due to the time factor during
the last ward councillor by-election”.

NAM Sallah said that due to lack of time and complacency, the coalition
leaders could not mobilise to call mass political rallies in many villages
in the area.
He pointed out that though the coalition were defeated the results indicate
that the ruling APRC has lost some of their votes as compared to the
previous election in April 2002.

“As the APRC is the ruling party and also fully in control of the Basse Area
Council (BAC), if there performance did not motivate one third of the voters
in Sare Ngai ward then these voters are against the APRC,” he explained.
He said the APRC candidate, Momodou Barrow, won by 261 votes and added that
a break down of polling station results shows that apart from Sare Ngai,
Chamoi and Gunjur Kuta, which are all APRC “strong bases” the opposition won
in all the other sub stations indicating a downward trend in voter support.

Mr Sallah further said the results determine that the APRC, with all its
resources has little space to maneuver while the coalition has a fertile
ground to grow if it adopts mature politicking that will attract a great
percentage of voters who abstain themselves from voting.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company