GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:03:17 -0600
Hi folks,

I thought I'd pass this on, in the wave of congratulations to Dr. Madiba Saidy
on recent Ph.D.  A Kenyan friend of mine recently also got his Ph.D. and
mentioned this article in an e-mail he sent to me.  I asked him to forward it
to me so I could pass it on.  I hope you find it useful, and inspiring.

By the way, the friend I refer to above is called Chang'aa, and I'll be
sending, under seperate cover, his annoucement of his successful defense of his
dissertation.  I found that one very interesting reading too, and thought I'd
share it.

And to Dr. Madiba, I'd like to extend my congratulations. Interestingly enough,
it was yesterday (Sat. Nov. 27) that I was hosting my African music program,
"The Baobab Beat" on our community radio station here in Madison, and decided
to play a song called "Madiba."  A really nice SEWRUBA song from a CD "Mandinka
Drum Master", by Mamadou Ly (from Cassamance).  I happened to have started the
set with a cut from Sedhiou Band's CD Africa Kambeng (see
http://www.africassette.com), followed by Taata and his Salaam Band's "Africa
Kambeng" from the compilation CD "Streets of Dakar" on Stern's Africa.  It was
a lot of fun, and I did mention Madiba's Ph.D. on the air, even though the guy
wasn't within our listening range.  But it's the spirit that matters!  Again,
congratulations and best wishes, Madiba, er Dr. Saidy!

Katim