GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:15:25 +0200
Good Morning,
The following warning and tips are from other list owners and I hope some find
it helpful.
For your information, Gambia-L is configured to strip off all attachments and
therefore, you can't get the virus from this L. However, Gambia-L managers
have been receiving this virus daily.

regards,
Momodou Camara

Anyone may use/edit-and-use this as they
please.

=== begin draft ===

[This is an administrative message and not
an on-topic message. Please be careful
with your To: address if you reply.]

Klez Is Bad

The Klez worm/virus variants are considered
an increasing risk by anti-virus firms.

If you use Microsoft software and do not have
anti-virus protection, you will probably be
infected soon. If you have anti-virus protection
and have not updated your protection lately,
you will probably be infected soon.

Because I am getting frequent delivery-failure
and other messages about Klez, I suspect that
some members of this group may have already
been, unfortunately, infected.

Klez Is Nasty

This threat can destroy your data and make
your computer unusable (worthless).

What To Do

Below are several links to try to help with this
issue. Prevention is the best way to go - so
if you use Microsoft software PLEASE go to

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

<A HREF="http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com">
AOL Users Click Here</A>

and bring your software up to date. The above service
is free and not too complicated.

Specific links below can help take care of problems
with the Klez worm/virus and a few related matters.

Klez Prevention

Microsoft Security Patch
  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-027.asp

Microsoft Internet Explorer Patch
  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q290108/default.asp

Klez Removal

Norton/Symantec Removal Tool (free)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.t
ool.
  html

Grisoft Removal Instructions
  http://www.grisoft.com/html/news/klezh.htm

F-secure Removal Tool (free)
  ftp://ftp.europe.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/kleztool.zip

Sophos Removal Instructions
  http://www.sophos.com/support/faqs/klezh.html

Klez Background Information

  http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/klez_e.shtml
  http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99367.htm

You cannot be infected from this group, because many
preventative steps have been taken at the server. However,
it is always possible to be infected by a group *member*
after they, themselves, are infected.

Please, everyone, use the preventative steps suggested
above.

=== end draft ===

I hope this helps (IHTH)

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]> 206/463-2322
Discussion list owner:
Allergy ---> http://www.Immune.Com/allergy/index.html
Arthritis ---> http://www.Emissary.Net/arthritis/index.html
Latex Allergy ---> http://www.Immune.Com/rubber/index.html
Thyroid ---> http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Scout wrote:

>of note.. one doesn't have to use explorer or outlook to get infected with
>this worm.. a friend got infected using Eudora and even I could get infected
>using Pegasus were I to execute the attachment, which I may have done
>since it's beeen sent by what looked like really good friends.
>
>  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]

Since Outlook uses Internet Explorer to render HTML messages, Outlook
users are subject to all of I.E.'s security holes.

Because Eudora by default uses Internet Explorer to render HTML
e-mail, you can get infected by Klez using Eudora without even opening
the attachment because of I.E.'s security vulnerabilities.

For the security minded Eudora user, you can either install the I.E.
security patches or you can set the Eudora option that renders HTML
messages using Eudora's internal browser instead of Microsoft's.

Those using Pegasus would have to open the attachment to get infected,
but once you do, then yes you are infected...

Dennis