GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 03:44:49 EDT
A few days ago,Tombong  stated here that the government will do the right
thing. Some of us of course knew better, but i guess some of us still believe
you can actually do the right thing yourself. They are dead wrong. You DO
KNOW that having your rights protected is a good thing, because you came to
this list complaining when George Sarr sent that post with your name on it.
We all acknowledge that was wrong, but the decision to delist him is wasted
on someone like you. It was something warranted, even though in my opinion it
was actually an over kill because of the attached condition which still has
me totally miffed.

However by the same token, it should also serve as a reminder to you that
those whose rights you help oppress also deserve the same  as you got here on
the list. The most unfortunate part of that decision to delist Sarr was the
fact that his return to the list was left to your forgiving him. I cannot
imagine that happening, as it must have been a prayer that met up with an
Amen as far as you are concerned.

 How ironic that you cry out for justice  when your whole existence these
days is devoted to being the dispenser of the  violation of the rights most
fundamental to our people and country. The institution you head is one of the
organs by which the information needed by the  Gambian people to enable then
to make the  relevant decisions about their destiny should be dispensed. It
belongs to them, they pay for it. This  includes information about all
political parties in the Gambia and what their agenda for the people and the
country is, and which can best be delivered by the representatives of those
political parties directly to the people via that same medium. It is without
question that they  have a right to use the organ you control to present
their agenda, and the people have a right to hear it.

The Gambian people have a right to be provided with truthful facts about the
state of our country via the same medium, as opposed to fabrications and
choreograpehd presentations  designed to pull the wool over their eyes.These
fundamental rights are the building blocks to a free and democratic society,
and thus a bright future for us as a people and a country.

Your job is as denier of these rights, and chief enforcer of that denial.It
is not surprising that the latest feat of this regime includes shooting a
bullet right through the heart of a journalist. Perhaps it was meant as a
message to those whose only crime is to make sure that the people are
informed.
Yes, how ironic indeed.

I appeal to any parents whose children are unaccounted for, to please come
forward and say so. People, you have a right to do that if your child is
unaccounted for as this is the only way the truth can be established. Do not
be terrorized into silence if you child or loved one has mysteriously
disappeared.We just pray that they are not in any mass graves behind toilets
again.

Jabou Joh