GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:54:45 +0100
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 11:51 AM
Subject: [unioNews] Annan calls in UK envoy over bugging

go to http://www.guardian.co.uk
> <H3>Annan calls in UK envoy over bugging</H3>
> Julian Borger in Washington
> Thursday March 04 2004
> The Guardian
>

> The British ambassador to the United Nations has been summoned to a
meeting today with the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, to discuss
allegations that his office had been bugged by British intelligence,
according to UN sources.

> The meeting comes a week after the former international development
secretary, Clare Short, stunned both the UN and the Blair government by
announcing on BBC radio that she had seen transcripts of Mr Annan's
intercepted conversations.

> The British ambassador at the UN's New York headquarters, Emyr Jones
Parry, was in London at the time of Ms Short's allegations and telephoned Mr
Annan at Tony Blair's request, but according to diplomatic sources, the
conversation did not directly address the bugging issue.

> It clearly did not satisfy Mr Annan, whose spokesman, Fred Eckhard, said:
"I think it's probably safe to say that he would like a fuller explanation."

> Neither the British officials nor Mr Eckhard would discuss the subject of
today's meeting but one senior UN source confirmed that it would deal with
the bugging scandal.

> "The UK has been very supportive of the UN, and probably everyone is doing
this kind of thing," the UN source said.

> "But the secretary general   believes this is not something he wants to
look the other way on.

> "His private position is his public position: 'How am I going to be
effective if every time I try to call someone the Brits or someone else are
going to be listening in?'."

> A British official yesterday would say only that Mr Jones Parry frequently
met Mr Annan in the course of his duties. The two met on Monday, but on a
different matter.

> Ms Short's allegations were an acute embarrassment for British diplomats
at the UN, where they have generally argued Britain wields influence beyond
its economic and military power.

> The claims followed the government's decision to drop charges against a
former GCHQ translator, Katharine Gun, who had leaked a US request for help
in bugging the offices of security council members.

> The former ambassadors of Mexico and Chile have since announced that their
offices near the UN were bugged a year ago, at a time when America and
Britain were trying to persuade the security council to back the invasion of
Iraq.

> The UN's former chief weapons inspector Hans Blix told the Guardian last
week that he suspected both his UN office and his home in New York were
bugged in the run-up to the Iraq war.

> Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited

> Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/DKgolB/TM
>
> lllll
> QUOTATION:
>
> "All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishments of an African
empire, so strong and powerful as to compel the respect of mankind, but we
in our lifetime can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility
within another generation"
> -<html><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion/afrohero.html">Ancestor
Marcus Mosiah Garvey <i>(1887 - 1940)</i></A></html>