GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:23:16 EDT
Tombong, while your efforts to expose the truth should be appreciated, some of the information in your post seem to be inaccurate.  The Observer has reported that there are two unidentified dead bodies at RVH as opposed to your claim of only one unidentified body.

Also, while you have partly justified the students' cause for action, you come short of condemning the law enforcement authorities and government that has committed blatant human rights abuses over the past 5 years or so.  How can you call the killing of children under 15 an overreaction?  Unless, you had a "mental block" during your attempt to describe the barbaric action of the law enforcement authorities, it is fair to say that your use of the word is a blatant attempt to hide the truth.

Furthermore, you state that because Yahya Jammeh has built schools and hospitals, calling him names is unfair.  This, in my opinion, is a very irresponsible and ignorant statement from your part.  Is it not his job as head of state to develop the country, or are we supposed to be grateful to him for building schools? Who are you trying to fool, or do you think that bribery tactics and patronizing the Gambian population will work?  This is precisely the mentality that we need to get away from.  The Gambian taxpayer and non-taxpayer, alike, deserve to have schools and facilities built for them, and this does not mean that there should be any reverence to the man.  These facilities are the inherent right of every Gambian citizen.

Before ending this topic, a philosophical question?  What ever happened to the Tombong Saidy, who on a sunny prize giving day afternoon at SAHS, stood on the stage and spoke for the rights of all students.  You ended your speech by saying: "I might be gone but my spirit will remain forever."  I was an 11 year old "freshman" at on that day.  Well, FYI, your spirit might be hovering around somewhere but that same spirit has been corrupted and marginalized.

On a side note, Katim Touray raised an interesting point in his reference to the prayers for the departed by the various religious denominations.  All Gambians need to pray at this very difficult time, but Katim is right, we should not leave the mosque or the church and forget about this series of tragic events.  Instead, the Imams and the bishops should speak against this tyranical regime and encourage their congregations to continue the fight.  After all, we need not fear or revere Yahya Jammeh, but God.

I would like to salute all the brothers and sisters who have offered their services towards the struggle to make sense of this strategy and eliminate the incompetent fools in power.