GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:06:05 +0800
Comrades:

As the UDP leadership is going around to meet
Gambians, it is disturbing that we will be going
to bat once again with the dictator of kaninlai
without laying a united foundation.  I wished the
other two opposition parties had the resources to
join the UDP so that Gambians can continue to tell
them to unite.

My concern for the UDP is that it has already made
a calculation risk to run on its record.  There is
no reasonable assurance that it can win an election
against dictator yahya.  What we need is to confront
the UDP and challenge the leadership to reconsider
its dangerous move in claiming to have a unilateral
right to our struggle.

I am appealing to Gambians in metro Atlanta to brain
storm the UDP.  Gambians should try to convince the
UDP that it needs NRP, PDOIS and the rest of the
barred politicians to win the presidency.  The UDP
should not be given a blanket support at the expense
of our freedom.  While Gambians are calling for
unity, the UDP leadership cannot reasonably tell us
that it will not run without uniting with the
opposition parties.  All we hear is, we have talk
about unity.  I ask, a unity on your slate to dictate and choose your candidate?  Gambians should know
better.

We cannot afford to waste valuable time and resources
to give the dictator another term.  Opposition
without unity equals to a victory for The Gambian
dictator.  I hope I am wrong.  God please help us.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh