GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:23:28 +0100
Baba,

Sorry for the late response and thanks for the message of condolence. "Uncle," as we all called him, was finally laid to rest yesterday at the Jeswang cemetery.

Your deduction is quite accurate: Baba Sillah has made quite a debut as a novelist with "When the monkey talks". I had the rare privilege of reading the manuscript during the summer of last year and was captivated by its power. The reader cannot fail to notice the similarities in this piece of work with works of the great Ngugi like "Devil on the cross" : the inherent political message, the celebration of our African/Gambian cultural heritage and history leave the reader always anxious to move on to the next chapter. A wonderful addition to Gambian literature that we must all read.

Regards,

Kabir.