GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 20:56:54 -0400
APRC Supporter: “Father Mose, It has become clear that this government has failed the country, and I really believe that there is no hope that they can pull the country out of this malaise. But the other reality is, there is no politician out there who is able to fill this power void, and in fact I am confident that Gambians are still willing to stay the course with Jammeh than take a risk with some of these losers.”

Well my good friend, I have to say this is the first time that you came across so sincere, but unfortunately so wrong. You are right that the present government cannot pull the country out of this malaise, and the worst is yet to come. It is unfortunate that when we called for change, people think of personalities – who among the politicians can we trust with the presidency? This is one question that most Gambians would easily asked.  Obviously, this is the kind of question that distracters would like to float around, mostly as a rhetorical question to prevent people from even entertaining the idea of change. It is the game of playing the fear of the unknown. Even during the time of President Jawara, the same nonsense was thrown around, some hags  admitted to the fact that the Pa indeed overstayed, but justifiable because there was no one groom to fill his shoes.

It is time for all of us to become aware that it is not who is going to fill this power vacuum, but what kind of change are we hoping for:

A Gambia that real power lies in the hands of the citizens, and power is shared among the branches of government – legislature, executive and the judiciary. A legislature dominated by a majority of decent Gambians who are willing to truthful and with honesty seek to represent the interest of their constituency, or be removed out of office by that same constituency. A Gambia that the Judiciary becomes the bedrock for rule of law and the rights of every Gambian is protected – not only on paper but also in our day to day lives. A security apparatus, manned by professionals who will do whatever it takes to protect the real peace and security of the nation, and not to be a rubber stamp for any person or institution. National army of professional soldiers – a uniform that comes across as a power of authority and professionalism, and ready to die to safeguard the peace and security of our country, rather than be under the tutelage of a dictator. A Gambia, where public mass media – GRTS and private media pursue their journalistic integrity to inform the public of their rights and news without fear of any authority, or to be blackmailed by any authority of any sort. Just imagine a GRTS, with Board of Directors like Baba Galleh Jallow, Sheriff Bojang, Abdoulie Sey, Mr.Chitstenson, and Baboucarr Gaye, knowing fully well that they are only answerable only to the whims and caprices of the Gambian people. Finally, A Gambia where every citizen has a crack to participate in a free market, with a government that will work in earnest to bring about the ideal environment for the day to day economic activity.

I know of thousands in the Diaspora that could care less who the next president is, as long as the above changes are in place for a new Gambia. People; call this democracy, I think of it as the sensible and sure way for a stable and developed Gambia. It is time to forget the politics of personalities.

Thanks
Musa Jeng