GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 05:57:36 +0200
Jungle,

This was an interesting one. I don't know your family background but I ,come
from a very poor family and sometimes when I read your articles it seems like
it is my family that have chosen to be poor. But deep in my heart I know the
story is not as simple as you would like others to believe. I do not need to
be in the Gambia to know how my family is doing.
The economic problems of our small country are not course only by the fact
that the brutal capitalist economic system is in deep crisis all over the
world. Ours is one dominated by economic mismanagement and a serious lack of
understanding of what must be taken as economic development in responding to
the basic needs of the ordinary people. I bet that had we had positive
economic growth in the Gambia, I would have heard that the country is doing
fine and that poverty is been taking care off, even though serious bourgeoisie
economic theorist are now saying that economic growth does not respond to the
problem of poverty. Not from the government but from an independentt
organisation, that have no political ambition in the Gambia, we learn that
poverty is seriously growing in that country. When I saw your piece, I was
definitely convinced that you did not get that information. Our problem is
that we have a $10 million project on communication when we are yet to discuss
who are going to be the consumers. Not the farmers who have not been paid
their monies since last year, if such people could not feed their children and
themselves, I do always wonder if the laws of production in a free market
system is not been seriously voilated. It is not the market that create
production, it is the opposite and tell me seriously am not expecting any
government subsidies in the very near future when the $10 million dollar
project is already through.
Lets look at this again, you have a Sankung Sillah and still dust- bins made
of plastics are been imported, can you find out who is doing this importation
for the authorities. What about the containers for the rubbish Can you find
out where they are imported? I can tell you if you do not know, we have able
and competent workers who are able to produce these containers in our country
and don't tell me the authorities are not aware of that, I know of a worker
who talked to responsible people about the fact that he can produce these
containers. Forget about that, the dirtiness of our Towns have no problem in
entertaining malaria.

The four lanes high way in the middle of the biggest town in our country is
not going to produce anything, you don't need it. This encourages more
unnecessary private consumption, more cars, more petrol and more environmental
burden. A two-lane road would have been enough; the monies that are building
these roads are going to be paid back. Investing it in more productive things
would pay better, work more on collective transportation or build the other
two lanes in productive areas that needs better roads or buy school bus for
children travelling many miles everyday to get to school. You know some of
these development projects just reminds me of what I have been told about the
comments made by Ousainou Darboe on the ARC 22.I understand he said that you
can see the whole of Banjul taking shower when you stand up there. A typical
example of third world development, not so. We have a beautiful airport, with
good   capacity and  so on,this is development. Since all those millions have
been spent on that airport ,did we have more tourist than before ?Go pass the
airport, the beautiful one, from the very door step you smell the poverty. Do
you think people who visit the Gambia, will remember more the beautiful
airport or the horrible poverty in that country, the "bear Footed" children
finding something better in the rubbish ?Some of them will not  even return
back to the Gambia,because of the amount poverty they witness in that country.
And when you  read in the news paper, some one from somewhere have donated
blood pressure machines and from the director to the minister all would have
the chance to say how badly such instrument are needed, whiles Jungle is
working on a $10 million communication project. This is the very reason why
the question is not Boom or no  Boom. It has to do with the mental
consciousness that understand that Adam Smith has for long been a history and
not even serious  liberal bourgeoisie economist have always serious
explanation as to what is responsible for this crisis.Without the liberation
of the human being from poverty,from wage slavery etc there will always be
crisis.

For freedom
Saiks