GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 18:18:42 +0000
Bamba, I appreciate the sentiments you expressed. But further to that I
think we would best understand Jammeh if we look at the historical
circumstances that created him. First and foremost, we all know that Jammeh
was a military person and as such he was moulded to give as well as to
execute orders without any questioning, for to question orders in the
military hierarchy would constitute an act of insubordination which can lead
to some form of disciplinary. Hence what Jammeh experienced in the armed
forces, is  what is called vertical socializtion. In vertical socialization,
a very rigid and strict structure of commandism operates as  oppose to civil
  society where we experience horiziontal socialization in which we relate
to each other  as equals,  questioning each others actions as well as give
opinions, hence developing a sense  rationality that is unknown in the armed
forces.

With such a background and finding himself in a position of control
naturally Jammeh's background is bound to surface. So what we are seeing is
a person that inernalised a mode of relation tha is pyramidical in nature,
at the apex he does not confer to seek consensus on issues but issues orders
that he expects to be obeyed without questioning  and this is the bit we
find extremely difficult to comprehend as civilians. Many people,political
reporters included, still find it baffling that Jammeh, despite being
elected, is still as draconian as he was when he usurped power. Many of us
would try to blame those around him, but that would be a mistake because,
like I said the military mind opertaes in a very funny way. The senior
expects no opinions from the juniors and this is the same mentality that
would, I presume bug Jammeh. He seems to think that no one can suggest or
tell him anything once he made up his mind and this is filtering in our
foreign policy. A clear example is the way the conflict with the Brits. was
handled, am sure you would agree that it was poorly handled. The whole saga
could have been easily been avoided with little flexibility, but obstinacy
and rigidityprevailed and now the Government is pleading to restore the
relationship, a complete shambles, waste of time and lost of resources.

You see, with the concept of commandism no political or democratic rights of
any sort are tolerated, except those sanctioned by Jammeh. In this type of
approach the only language spoken and understood is the language of force
and this is a daily experience for the Gambian people.

The principal danger in this situation is not just the denial of civil
liberties and the arbitrariness which accompanies enormous power in the
hands of individuals.The serious danger is a lasting one:the perpetuation of
  the kind of established  disorder. I hope Jammeh would realise that he
needs to improve the human rights image of the nation for it is not enough
to insist that rights are being re4spected when radio stations are shut and
people like Dumo are still incacerated. The best awy to move forward is to
broaden the democratic base without democratic dispensation there will
always be voices that will challenge his conversion to a civilian. Jammeh
must draw a line and make his past as a soldier a history and this could
only be achieved through the rule of law, in fact if I were him I will give
the NIA a whole new image. There must be confident building measures of some
sort  without which he may find it difficult to earn the respect of the rest
of the population, which is a significant minority. After all his government
is a legitimate one mandated by the Gambian people. One can understand when
Blaisse Jagne addressed UN pleading that they have kept to their bargain and
now it was the turn of the international community to respond. He was at
pains pleading for recognition, what he failed to realise was that elections
is just the beggining and not the end. For Gambia to be accepted human
rights issues most be addressed or else it is back to square one.Blaisse
most realise that they are as equally culpable as anyone else in creating
such a diplomatic empasse. The ball in as much as it is in the international
communities' court it is equally in their's. Hence they most sort out the
concerns that affcets both Gambians and the international community. A
government that opertaes like the Taliban cannot be accepted and that is
precisely why the rule of law must take precedence over power or political
might.

Am sure most if not all Gambians do wish Gambia well and would not want any
sanctions to be imposed but by the same token we hate to see or hear reports
about people being arrested for the most trivial of issues. And this is the
basis for which our genuine concerns are expressed and we find it
frustrating that we are not getting through to Jammeh. I hope all political
prisoners will be released to mark a new beggining.