GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ABDOUKARIM SANNEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 05:14:18 +0100
Africa Confidential
  Congolese Minister in London Attack
  House of Commons
London SW1
  Thursday 12 October
  Dear Africa Confidential-ers
  There has been a disturbing trend recently. Africa Confidential is becoming part of the news - instead of just reporting it. Last week, I had to inform readers that the unfortunate British journalist Patrick Smith, who was trampled to death by an elephant, was not the same half-Irish Smith who edits Africa Confidential.
  This week I have to report that just two hours after I interviewed Congolese politician L廩nard She Okitundu here in the House of Commons at Westminster, he and two other Congolese officials were attacked by a crowd of baseball bat-wielding thugs in North London. The assailants stripped Okitundu naked, stole his passport, wallet, credit cards and even underpants, then published photographs of the incident and the stolen property on the internet.
  Speaking from his hotel this afternoon, Okitundu told me the attack was a planned ambush by his political opponents. The thugs had surrounded Okitundu's car as it drew up outside the offices of Original Black Entertainment, a television channel based in Park Royal, London. Somehow the thugs had advance notice of Okitundu's arrival and came well-equipped.
  Okitundu was due to take part in a programme about the Congolese elections. The second round of the presidential elections pitting incumbent President Joseph Kabila against Vice-President Jean-Pierre Bemba is due on 29 October. A Lumumbiste who has held the Human Rights and Foreign Affairs portfolios under the Kabila government, Okitundu has several political enemies. He is currently Joseph Kabila's Directeur de Cabinet.
  Several minutes after the attack started, police cars arrived on the scene along with an ambulance which rushed Okitundu and the two officials - Kinshasa's former Ambassador to London, Henri Nswana, and the ruling PPRD's British Chairman Placide Mbatika - to hospital. All three were badly beaten but are now making a good recovery.
  Paradoxically, Okitundu had told me yesterday afternoon before the attack that security had greatly improved in Congo ahead of the second round and that officials didn't believe that any disenchanted group was prepared to launch violent attacks to challenge election results. Security may be better in Congo but it certainly isn't in London.
  As Okitundu's visit was an unofficial one, he was not accorded diplomatic protection &shy; even though he met with several British MPs, journalists and British government officials. That much is evident from the internet reports of the attack, which clearly display the calling cards of the MPs, British officials and the Editor of Africa Confidential. The story, which is getting top billing on the BBC's World Service and London newspapers on Friday, may now prompt Britain's already over stretched police to keep a closer eye on the security of visiting foreign dignitaries - whether or not they are on official business.
  Yours confidentially
  Patrick Smith
Editor
  Visit www.africa-confidential.com and subscribe to the world's leading fortnightly bulletin on African politics.