GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 04:19:57 +0100
The irreversible trend to vote the APRC out of government has acquired an
added momentum with this local government elections. It then remains for the
opposition parties to closely study the results and consequently initiate an
inter-party dialogue with each other for the objective of laying the
foundations of a solid alliance that will be capable of  removing the
retrogressive and corrupt APRC from power in the next general elections.
This task should start now and UDP as the main opposition party should not
hesitate to initiate the engagements. PDOIS and NRP which i believe are
genuine to the Gambian cause must not fail to put the interest of the
country beyond those of their respective parties. The same applies to the
UDP.
Poverty is increasing afflicting the souls of the overwhelming majority of
Gambians; real incomes and standards of living are plummeting; cost of
living and inflation is rising at worrying rates and therefore Gambians are
gettting increasingly dissatisfied with the inept and callous
politico-economic and social policies of the APRC regime. There is no doubt
that had all the genuine opposition parties forged an alliance in the last
Presidential election, the Jammeh dictatorship would have been history by
now inspite of the nearly 30, 000 Cassamance votes for him.
In conclusion, I wish to urge all the elected independent candidates to
stick to the will of the electorate by refusing to accept any bribe intended
for them to switch to the APRC. You won on independent tickets, therefore
maintain your independent stance to fight the interest of your constituents.
Any selfish political opportunism will haunt you in the future.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!