GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:26:04 EDT
 Re:    Brooklyn Museum of Art Exhibit Blaspheming Virgin Mary

 "The Islamic Center of Long Island Commends Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's
 Stand Against Misuse of First Amendment"

 In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The Merciful.

 "And Lo!  The angel said:  'O Mary! Behold, Allah has chosen thee and
 made thee pure, and raised thee above all the women of the world.'"

 Based on this verse 42 of chapter three (Al-Imran) of Al-Qur'aan, the
 Islamic Center of Long Island commends Mayor Rudolph Giuliani for taking
 a strong stand against the exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art that
 blasphemes the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus, peace be upon them both.

 The Muslims of the United States greatly value the First Amendment rights
 to free speech; however, just as the right to free speech does not include
 the right to cry 'fire' in a crowded theatre, it should also not include
 the right to insult, defame or blaspheme historical figures chosen by
 God/Allah, therefore, revered and deemed holy by the major world religions
 of Christianity and Al-Islam.

 The Virgin Mary, who is referred to as Maryam in the 19th chapter of the
 Holy Book Al-Qur'aan, is held in deep veneration by Christians and Muslims
 alike.  Any attack on the Virgin Mary is an attack on all that is pure,
 wholesome and holy in the human spirit.  We call upon the art community
 in the United States to practice their craft with awareness of their
 responsibility towards society, to be a force for good and not for evil.
 We specifically call upon the Brooklyn Museum of Art to cancel the offensive
 parts of this exhibit, and we support Mayor Giuliani in his efforts towards
 this end.

 - END -