GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 02:03:26 +0000
  "Never does
a human being among humans so abhor a single culture or ethnicity as  to form
a political platform based on derision of cultures. SInce Halifa is  PDOIS and
PDOIS is Halifa, the lieutenants had no choice but to adopt that as  their"

Haroon:

We have met again on the same topic, and I have to say this is one issue that anyone of us can ever  ignore. Now, to the above statement, I really think you do not mean to say that, unless of course I am not getting it right. Are you suggesting that PDOIS,  in this case you indicated is synonemous to Halifa abhor tribes or a single tribe so much that he created a platform(your words) against cultures?

For me I think our tribal differences are just that, and when we decided to come together and belong to one nation, it became evident that we will have to accomodate these differences and build a better country for all of us. I am of the firm belief that if we build a strong democracy whereby people ultimately have the power to  decide who governs, and that  they have the right to do just that after hearing from people's message, they still reserve the right to vote for their own kind. It is ok to vote for your kind, but in any open society, it will jsut be a matter of time whe we will eventually evolve to vote for our interest and tribal affiliation will be secondary. We can all take pride of our different tribes, and that is ok, but I am not sure of the poltitcal vaibilty  of trying to govern different tribes  by  putting emphasis on our tribal  differences. Finally, I can say that give me a democratic Gambia, and over time there will be no serious person who will make it to the
state house by appealing to our tribal sensitivities.

Thanks

Musa Jeng

Thanks

Musa Jeng