GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 20:46:17 -0400
George and Ebrima...Please refer to my earlier statements:

1.    “Now how does this mean within contemporary Gambia?  I would
caution that this is a very mangling question, and one has to walk the
fine line of objectivity to avoid the potential sways of current
factional politics.  At best we can expect to demonstrate the essence
of human rights within our socio-economic experience and leave the rest
to legitimate politics to interpret.”

2.    “I would like to establish here that my previous article is
just a groundwork of ideas that I think might incite very fruitful
solutions to human rights issues in the Gambia.   Let me emphasize
again that my opinion is purely apolitical, and I try as much as
possible to avoid specific trends or facts in the Gambia that might
embroil the discussions into a partisan debate.”

Nevertheless, I will assume that the above statements are crystal clear
unless you raise a specific question that is quite inherently
impertinent.  I believe this may help us avoid going around circles.

Finally, Ebrima again there are alot of tangential issues you raised in
your last response that I believe have absolutely no positive bearing
to this discourse.  For example, your posture without any concrete
demonstration and I will quote you-“ The fact of the matter is you
loaded your piece with revolutionary thinking of philosophers, the very
purpose of whose arguments were completely misrepresented at the tail
end of your previous posting.”

You know Ebrima I wish you could prove your case.  Now putting all this
human rights debate aside for a moment, I believe regressing into the
past to excavate ugly memories shall only serve to stymie the
therapeutic effects of reconciliation.  What is done can never be
undone.  The abuse excuse game plan is over.