GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:09:02 +0100
Joe,

Bala Jahumpa was here in Oslo last summer, and the issue of Gambians living abroad exercising their voting rights was discussed. Our association received a copy of a letter to him from Rev. Tilewa Johnson sometime last August. Part of it reads thus;

"The issue of registration of Gambian nationals resident in foreign countries in view to extending the right to participate in national elections in The Gambia, have been taken up in the National Good Governance Programme and at a subsequent National Roundtable Conference which aimed at looking for funding to cater for this constitutional requirement. Meanwhile efforts are being geared towards the realisation of this exercise and the IEC is happy to announce that a number of international bodies, agencies and governments have made pledges to support the project, which is yet to be formulated.

If the project materialises, the IEC shall be sending its officials abroad to some selected countries where the density of Gambian nationals meets the criteria, to study the modalities and conditions of registration of Gambians as voters which will enable them to express their voice in the choice of the country`s leadership.

It is the Commission`s hope that during the next presidential elections scheduled for year 2001, Gambians abroad will be able, for the first time, to take part in this important exercise" (end of quote).

Note that this letter was written during the time of Rev. Johnson, and as he is gone now this dream might just be another nightmare. As you rightly stated, October is fast approaching and I hope the IEC is following up what the Rev. started.

Regards,
Omar.