GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Dr. Alhaji S. Jeng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:19:36 +0100
Mr. Jaiteh,

That rice is Gambia's staple food cannot be questioned, but I dare say that
it is less staple today than it was 25 - 30 years ago. The Food and
Nutritrion Unit of the Department of Agric. Services (DAS) in The Gambia,
has, for some years now, been engaged in the promotion of technologies on
alternative ways of preparing dishes using foodstuffs other than rice. Maize
/ millet Benachin was one of them and I can assure you that in some rural
communities, some of these technologies were ell received, particularly at
times when rice was difficult get. This, together with the traditional
"Cherres" and "laahs", gives millet an important place in Gambian diet and
nutrition.

I'm sure DAS and Dep, of Planning (DOP) will be able to give indicative
statistics of total cereal consumption, in general, and consumption of
individual cereals in the Gambia. Diversifying our cereal consumption is
something which should be taken seriously in The Gambia.

Dr. Alhaji S: Jeng
Kroer Søndre
1430 Ås
Norway