GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 15:56:16 -0700
----------
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:51:38 -0500 (CDT)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER, Vol. 2, N0.4

International Center and Liberia Institute of Journalism
WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER
Reporting on Human Rights, Democracy & Development
Vol. 2 No. 3 April 19, 2002

Please send this newsletter to anyone who is interested!!!

CONTENTS

1. EDITOR’S COMMENTS
2. RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY
3. REFUGEES
4. HEALTH/ ENVIRONMENT
5. DEVELOPMENT
6. MEDIA/TECHNOLOGY
7. GRANTS
8. ELECTIONS/WEST AFRICA
9. WORLD BANK PIPELINE
10. ANNOUNCEMENTS
11. ABOUT US
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

1. EDITOR’S COMMENTS
http://www.lij.kabissa.org

As we journalists celebrate journalism on World Press Freedom Day, May 3,
2002,
the WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER (WAN), wants us all to reflect on our role as
nations’ gatekeepers. We also us this time to call on our fortunate brothers
and sisters of the ink and microphones to lend a helping hands to those of
us
who are committed to the practice in underdeveloped countries. Many of us
have
gone to our early graves and spend part of our lives languishing in prisons,
for a just society. Though it is understood that to have a just and
democratic
society we have to pay with blood sweat and tears. All we ask is help us as
we
strive to promote pluralism in our various countries.

In this edition we have dedicated it to the many journalists who have gone
on
to the great beyond and those that are languishing in prisons around the
globe.

2. RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY

War in Liberia Threatens Peace in Sierra Leone - And Security Across West
Africa

International Crisis Group (Brussels)
PRESS RELEASE
April 24, 2002
Posted to the web April 24, 2002
Freetown
http://allafrica.com/stories/200204240671.html

Sierra Leone's fragile peace is being threatened by the continuation of the
war
in neighboring Liberia. A new ICG report published today, Liberia: The Key
Ending Regional Instability, a copy of which is attached, argues that
Liberian
President Charles Taylor's campaign to destabilize the region has come back
haunt him, with his enemies now returning the fight to his doorstep. The
threat
of open warfare across the region persists as long as Taylor's regime
remains
the primary cause of instability in West Africa

3. REFUGEES

Ghana: Crime rise at Liberia Refugee Camp
Ghanaian Chronicle
25/4/2002
AN INFLUX of illegal immigrants coupled with rampant crimes in the Liberian-
dominated Budumburam Refugee camp near Accra have attracted condemnation of
the
Ministry of Interior and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees
(UNHCR).

4. HEALTH/ENVIRONMENT

Groups Use, And Conserve Forest Bounty
United Nations Development Programme (New York)
PRESS RELEASE
April 24, 2002
Posted to the web April 24, 2002
New York
http://allafrica.com/stories/200204240636.html

Communities in the Kita district in southwest Mali are selling wood, honey
and
other products from local forests to increase their earnings while improving
forest management to ensure that future generations can enjoy the bounty.
A project supported by UNDP.

From: Alison Thompson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Public Health Ethics: Towards a Research Agenda
An International Symposium and Workshop
May 17 & 18, 2002
Victoria College - University of Toronto, Canada
Keynote Speaker:Lawrence Gostin
Professor of Law, Georgetown University, Professor of Public Health, the
Johns
Hopkins University, Director, Center for Law & the Public's Health, CDC
Collaborating Center Promoting Health Through Law

Africa Malaria Day 2002
Mobilizing Communities to Roll Back Malaria
http://www.worldbank.org/developmentnews/stories/html/042502a.htm
April 25, 2002—On April 25th, countries throughout Africa celebrate the 3rd
annual Africa Malaria Day. The theme for this years celebration is
mobilizing
communities to Roll Back Malaria. Events are taking place in almost every
country in the region with the hope of stimulating communities to take
action
towards reducing the burden of malaria in Africa.

5. DEVELOPMENT

Dakar meeting represents new business opportunities for Africa
http://www.undp.org/dpa/pressrelease/releases/2002/april/12apr02.html
Dakar, 12 April 2002: Some 800 representatives of corporations ranging from
Cisco Systems to Air France, non-governmental organizations, development
agencies and governments will converge in Dakar, Senegal on 15-17 April to
hear
African leaders present a unified vision for the future of their region and
lay
out opportunities for doing business in the continent.

6. MEDIA/TECHNOLOGY

U.S.-Based NGO Seeking Proposals from Local Organizations in African
Countries
http://allafrica.com/stories/200204190001.html
Washington, DC
The Global Technology Network solicits proposals from organizations capable
of
delivering "cost effective" services as representatives for an annual
contract
in the following countries: Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mozambique, Namibia,
Tanzania,
and Uganda.
Liberian Police Close Newspaper
By Jonathan Paye-Layleh
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, April 25, 2002; 11:37 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47302-2002Apr25.html
MONROVIA, Liberia, –– Police shut down an independent newspaper Thursday and
have arrested a leading human rights lawyer, both vocal critics of the
government.
Nigeria warns foreign journalists

Staff Reporter
ABUJA, 25 April 2002
http://www.africaonline.com/site/Articles/1,3,47242.jsp
The Nigerian government is warning that it will prosecute foreign
journalists
who publish what it says are "false reports" about the country

PROTEST LETTER
http://www.cjfe.org/protestlets/2002/tog-apr18.html
His Excellency Gnassingbé Eyadéma
Présidence de la Republique
Lomé, Togo
Fax: +228 21 18 97
Email: [log in to unmask]
Your Excellency,
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, a non-profit, non-governmental
organization that works to promote and protect freedom of expression around
the
world, wishes to protest the seizure of copies of Le Regard

7. GRANTS

Journalists World over who are in distress can apply to the various Distress
funds listed below
§ Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE)
Journalists in Distress Fund
§ Human Rights Watch
Hellman-Hammett Emergency Grants
§ International Federation of Journalists (IFJ)
IFJ Safety Fund
§ International PEN
PEN Emergency Fund
§ International Press Institute (IPI)
Distress Fund
§ PEN American Center
Writers Fund
§ Reporters Sans Frontières (RSF)
Solidarity Fund
§ World Press Freedom Committee
Fund Against Censorship
Other Organisations:
§ Rights and Democracy: International Centre for Human Rights &
Democratic Development
§ The Reebok Human Rights Award Program
Reebok Human Rights Award
8. ELECTIONS/WEST AFRICA

Mali Presidential  April 28, 2002 (first round)
Burkina Faso  Parliamentary  May 5 , 2002
Mali Presidential  May 12, 2002 (second round
Sierra Leone  Presidential May 14, 2002
Sierra Leone  Parlimentary May 14, 2002
Cameroon Legislative June 23, 2002
Guinea Legislative June 30, 2002
Cote D'Ivoire  Departmental July 7, 2002
Togo Parliamentary

9. WORLD BANK PIPELINE PROJECT

Ghana to receive $3.7 billion in debt service relief.
http://lnweb18.worldbank.org/news/pressrelease.nsf/92203140240d75178525678c0
0585
fc3/75f297efa57c2d8405256b6c007cd3c3?OpenDocument
WASHINGTON, February 26, 2002—The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the
World Bank Group's International Development Association (IDA) have agreed
support a comprehensive debt reduction package for Ghana under the enhanced
Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative. Total relief from all of
Ghana's creditors is worth approximately US$3.7 billion, which is equivalent
US$2.18 billion in Net Present Value (NPV) terms, Net Present Value (NPV) of
debt is the discounted sum of all future debt-service obligations (interest
and
principal) on existing debt. The NPV of debt is a measure that takes into
account the degree of concessionality present in the stock of debt. It is
defined as the sum of all future debt-service obligations (interest and
principal) on existing debt, discounted, under the HIPC Initiative, at
market
interest rates. Whenever the interest rate on a loan is lower than the
market
rate, the resulting NPV of debt is smaller than its face value, with the
difference reflecting the grant element. or 56 percent of total debt
outstanding after the full use of traditional debt relief mechanisms.
10. ANNOUNCEMENTS

INSTITUTE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT IN AFRICA
FOURTH ANNUAL WORKSHOP ON PROCEDURES OF THE AFRICAN REGIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS
SYSTEM

19 - 28 AUGUST 2002
BANJUL, THE GAMBIA

The Institute for Human Rights and Development is a pan-African NGO
Headquartered in The Gambia, working for the promotion and protection
of human rights and development through the implementation of African
Human rights treaties. For the third consecutive year, the Institute will
Conduct a pan-African training workshop on Procedures of the African
Regional
System of Human Rights.

FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE CONFERENCE PLEASE EMAIL FATOU COLE AT:

11. ABOUT US
The WEST AFRICA NEWSLETTER (WAN), is published online by the Liberia
Institute
of Journalism (LIJ), located at the corner of Broad and Johnson Streets, in
the
Koushouk building, Suite #2, Monrovia, Liberia. This project is funded by
the
International Center—731-8th Street, S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003. WAN is
distributed free of charge through e-mail. We do accept articles,
information,
news and announcements for publication. Please send them to the editor
Vinnie
Hodges at [log in to unmask] To subscribe or unsubscribe please log onto our
website: http://www.lij.kabissa.org

---
WestAfrica-Newsletter is hosted on Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
To post, write to: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.kabissa.org/lij

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, May 29, 2002. Location: Douglas Truth Library, 2300 E Yesler Way, Seattle
7:00 PM WASAN business meeting
7:30 PM PROGRAM: Good Read.  A free event.

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network