GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:36:27 +0100
Mr Nyang,

I read your contribution on the unfolding Brufut land
dispute and i still cannot understand how tribalsim is
playing a factor here. The Mannehkunda kabilo as far
as am can see have no problem with Taf as an
individual but the issuing authority...our government
which compose of all the tribes in this country. It is
very unfortunate that in our today's Gambia one cannot
speak against injustice without being label as a
trabilist. The fact of the matter Mr Nyang is that the
Gambia government treated the people of Brufut with
serious contempt and therfore the local poeple have
have done what they are suppose to do....petition the
government to reconsider it decision. Some of us who
are the customary land owners of the various parts of
the Kombos have indeed every  course to complain.
Right now in my own village of Jambur all lands in the
area are declared state land...now we are competing
with wealthy businessmen who are engage in speculative
land grabbing with a tacit support from the
government. So you expect us to sit and watch this
unfolding dramma go unchallenged? Be reminded that
this has nothing to do with tribalism but the
unquestioned rights of the people of Brufut and the
unsuspecting people of the Kombos in general to put a
stop to this. The situation is very serious Mr Nyang
and if we still continue to keep mute over this, will
surely bring about cummunial tensions very soon.

Having known you for sometimes now i personally
believe that you are a mature and enlightened person
whose preoccupations go beyond this narrow tribalistic
sentiments that our government is always trumpeting to
divide friends and people who have been living
together for a long time,but honestly i believe your
this other claim is extream and unexpected.

E Sillah.

 --- Kutubo Manneh <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Mr Nyang,

=== message truncated ===