GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hamad S. Sallah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 06:52:48 GMT
My dear Compatriots,

To begin with, I want to register my profound gratitude and thanks to my
brother and friend Cherno Baba Jallow for making it possible for me to
subscribe to the now world famous Gambia L. and to Momodou Camara, who I
don't know in person but has played a recognised role in facilitating this
process. I say keep it up, you are on the right track.

This week marked my first signing on week on The Gambia L and overall it has
been most exciting and rewarding. The Gambia L so far, so good, has opened
my eyes to many and varied issues globally but the issues I find very
touching and sympathetic are the burning issues that concerns directly my
beloved country, The Gambia - which to me, all centres around the all
important topic of good governance. A cursory look at the wide ranging
sentiments expressed in the Gambia L reveals that all is not well with our
body politics and that a lot of constructive efforts are underway to bring
it to naught or rather to positive change. I take this medium therefore, to
thank all those who have contributed or are contributing to this worthwhile
venture.

Without being impolite, I want to underscore that I found most of this
week's exchanges very open, frank and desirable, with the exception of one
vide (Re. Annan Genuine Democracy Needed-Attn. Haruna) which I consider way
too far and in fact lacking in tolerance - a trait considered very Gambian
and democratic. I don't want to be entangled in the web of intolerance( or
be seen as pointing accusing fingers) and therefore, will refrain from
dilating at length on this particular commentary I observed to be
improper/inappropriate but would caution that a lot of good could be
achieved from this noble exercise if we take it to reason that we are all
working(no matter where our heart lies in the global political divide) for a
common goal that is to the make our country and the world a safe and
dignified place to live in. In a nutshell, tolerance to the expressed views
of others should be our watchphrase and not the kind of attack on the
person, as manisfested so glaringly in the commentary that I particularised
hitherto.

That apart, considering the fact that in the main, all the contributors are
youngmen/women bracing up for a better Gambia or better world, I think the
future is very, very bright and not bleak and bare as some prophets of doom
would advance.

The leadership that we are all questioning for lack of doing one thing or
the other or for doing badly, is either already dead or dying. All are
agreed that it has run out of the needed steam to see us through unfettered
freedom and genuine development and is spacelessly crumbling down.

I want to impress it upon everyone that cares to take note, that the essence
of this forum is for us to share genuinely (without fear, favour, let,
hindrance, patronage and or otherwise)ideas that we think can advance the
cause of humanity.

In the future, I want to see us more into selling one another senses than
flexing muscles, which breeds unnecessary animosity.

I thank everyone for keeping the Gambia L alive. Long live the people, in
whose hands genuine power ultimately lies.

Hamad S. Sallah.