GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 21:42:23 EST
Elhadj,

You can always count on me to agee to disagree with respect, and i hope that
you did not find my response to you disrespectful because that was definitely
not my intention.
I think that those who hold the  notion that Ebou Jallow is being singled out
while others who have committed fraud and other atrocities against our people
are not being challenged in the same manner missing the point completely.

Ebou Jallow just happens to be one who has made his identity known here on
the L, and is thus being challenged by Gambians and rightly so. I think there
is no one here who can say that if Yaya Jammeh or any others from his regime
or from the PPP regime who are alleged to have committed fraud against the
people were to make their identieis known here will go unchallenged for
similar or worse allegations.

The people on the L are Gambians who know their rights and who make no secret
of demanding the best from our leaders, and we hope that our entire society
will one day be comprised of people who are far from  being complacent and
easy tools and victims of unsavoury characters masquersding as respectable
leaders.

Ordinary citizens taking people who have wronged us to task are the voices
that are crying out for justice, and which justice we hope will be served by
a court of law one day. The expression of our outrage as citizens on this
forum cannot possibly be mistaken as a substitute for due process in a court
of law one day, but it must also never be silenced simply because we just
cannot afford for that to happen.

Jabou Joh