GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdou Bobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:23:38 +0200
At long last someone willing to take the bull by the horns. Don't know whether it's the urban me or my negative attitude to blatant wastage of potential resources but I just must commend Mr. Jaiteh for making this issue topical. I cannot recall the number of times I shuddered at the extremely low price of peanuts in the shops and the sight of them being doled out for free (and left untouched) in pubs. My mind always goes to this wretched Gambian farmer toiling for an existence; his chances of achieving a fair income (if that exists) are minimal with all the hurdles he  has to overcome. Yeah, the colonialists had cynical agenda when it comes to rigging the markets in their favour but sometimes I do wonder whether the leaders Africa have had after achieving "independence" had ones that have resulted in even more devastation. Ofcourse one can argue that they did take over condemned systems that were programmed to fail but there are examples galore in the continent that illustrat
e a combination of incompetence, greed and downright disregard for human suffering that easily made the colonialist's prophesies of doom come true.

I have little knowledge of agriculture but logic does tell me that a place that has at most 3-4 months of sporadic rainfall and a not too fertile soil the prospects for cultivating cash crops like peanuts that is sold in a global and competetive world market would likely have a tough time. This especially when the rains become less frequent because of an encroaching desert; the droughts started already in the 70s but no contingency income policy  diversifications were formulated by the then policy makers (incompetence). There was much babbling about a bridge barrage and utilisation of the river resources through irrigation but it all came to zilch; most of the money from "donors" to make something out of these grand projects ended up in somebody's pockets in the feasibilty study stages (greed). I would like to think that Gambian farmers would have stand a better chance by subsisting instead of relying on commercial crops that is sold through incompetent and scrupulous interm
ediaries. If the policy makers had vision they could embark on urbanisation in an efficient manner; 3-4 river port towns could be urbanised gradually. One can always ask where these urban centres are gonna generate income from. I don't have quick answers but my vision is trade, tourism, services for a global market, utilising the river both as a transport system and for power generation, etc, etc. I have the belief that humans tend to be ingenious when packed in places, and ofcourse with a responsible invisible hand as guidance.

These are exciting times in Gambia, with elections just round the corner. I wished though that the elections were the only source of excitement; for me the escalating turmoil just across the border is of greater worry. I hope that I'm wrong in my observation that the maiming, bestiality and sheer terror that began in Liberia and Sierra Leone and moved through the two Guineas are not gonna end in our neighbourhood. The same ingredients that started and sustained the conflicts down south are present in Gambia, Senegal and the Guineas: tribal differences, resources deficiencies, leaders willing to fight covert proxy wars, etc. I keep hearing that Gambians are peaceful people and I do hope that this is right. But even peaceful people can be naively dragged into attrocities.

I hope that my thoughts haven't been too gloomy but at times one cannot help but just spill them out.
Good evening to all!