GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:10:25 +0000
DEYDA'S  KILLERS
         STILL  AT  LARGE!!!

Is   there  any  serious  investigations  into  journalist  Deyda  Hydara's
  death?    One   is   compelled  to  ask,   in  view   of    the  police's
  silence   over  the   incident.     Have   you   buried   this   high
profile  case?     If   not  what   are   you    doing    at   this  point
in  time   to   bring   Deyda's   killer(s)  to   book?    Is   the  police
afraid   to   go  after  the  suspected   killers?     Don't    tell  us
that  Gambians  are  not  prepared  to  cooperate  in   the  ongoing  so
called  investigations.

We  will  continue   to  ask  questions,   as   long  as   you  are not
prepared to  bring  these killers to  justice.      We  need  justice  now.
    You   should   take  the   necessary  steps  to   bring   the
perpetrators  of   this  dastardly  and  barbaric  act  to   justice.
In  any case,   these   cowards  have  long  been  persecuting  us.    Read
below,    an  encounter  i  experienced      in  The  Gambia,   prior  to
Deyda's  demise

A    Registered  Mail  for  Pa  Nderry?

In   the  early  part  of  2004,     I    was  advised   by   the  late
Deyda  hydara  not   to  receive  a   registered  mail   sent  to  me
through  the  Daily  Observer,   my   former   employers.    According   to
sources  at  the  Post  office  in  Banjul,  the  mail  purportedly  came
from   the  US  Embassy  in  Banjul.     A    registered  slip  was  dropped
  at  the  Observer  for  me  to  go  and  pick   the  mail.   I   was
fired   from  the   Observer  about  two  years  ago   and  wondered  how
could   my  correspondences   be  channelled   through  the  Daily
Observer.     Most   of  my  contacts  knew  about    my   change  of
address   and   would  not  expect   a  mail  purportedly  from   the  US
Embassy   be  sent   to   the  Observer.

I   discussed   the  issue  with  Deyda  and  he  cautioned  me  not  to
collect  the  mail.    This  was  what  he  told  me" Be careful  Pa
Nderry!!!!  Try   and  verify  with  the  US  Embassy  and  find  out
whether  there  is  any  such  mail   from  their   end.     They  knew
that  you  are  working  with  the  Point.    Why  sending   your   mail
through  the  Observer?   This   could   be  ploy   to    get   you.   Be
vigilant."

I    complied   with  his  advise  and   conducted  my  own  investigations
into  the   veracity  about   the  existence  of  such  a  mail  purportedly
   from  the  US   Embassy.    I   begun    by  contacting    dependable
sources  at  the  General  Post  office  in   Banjul.     An   insider
cautioned   that   i    should    double   check  with  the  US   embassy
before  collecting  the    mail.      As    a matter   of   fact,     i
contacted    the  current   Information  minister   Amadou   S   Janneh,
a  former    political   officer  at  the  US  embassy  and   Nana  Grey
Johnson.      They   both   denied   having   knowledge   about  the  said
letter   from  the  US  embassy.      Just   to   allay  my  fears  and
that   of   Deyda    about   this  "mysterious"   letter,   i   contacted
the  Embassy  mail   clerk  Sedia.    Sedia   too  vehemently  denied
dispatching  any  mail  in  the  name  of   Pa   Nderry  MBai.   "Pa
Nderry,   i  know   you.   If  there  was   any  such  mail,     i  will
bring  it  to   the  Point   or  mail  it  to   you   through  the  Point.
  The  embassy  is   not   far  from   the   point.    What's   stopping
me  from  handing  the  mail  to  you  in  person?    I   a'm    not   aware
  of  such  a   mail." Sedia   told  me.

I   did   not  stopped  at  that.   I  also  contacted  my   Voice  Of
America  Radio   employers  in  Washington  DC.    One   of   my  Editors
said  he  was  not  aware  of  any  mail  sent  to  me  through  the
Observer.    I   was  again   cautioned  to   be careful.     My   editor
also  advised  me   not   to  pick  the  mail.

I    submitted   my   findings   to  Deyda  and   he  thus  remarked"You
see,   this  what  i  was  telling  you.    It's  not  safe.   Don't   take
risks.    A    similar  thing  happened  to  me  few  years  ago.    I
received   a   call   from  the  Post  office   that    i  have   a
package  addressed  to  me  through  the  "Campama"   school.    Up till
now   i    refused  to  collect  the  package.    I    thought  that   it
was   a ploy  to  get  me.     Ask  Pap  Saine,   he  will  tell   you
something  about  the "Campama"    package.

After,   talking  to   Deyda,   i   telephoned   the  Observer  Deputy  MD
Andrew   Dacosta   who  handed  the  registered  slip  ticket  to  me
through  a  colleague.    I    informed  him    that   i     decided  not
to   collect  the  mail  for  security  reasons.

I   never  showed  up  at  the  Observer  in  person  to  collect  the
registered  slip.   Instead,   i   assigned   a   junior   reporter  at
the  Point to  collect  it  on  my  behalf.

Weeks  and  months  past  without   hearing   from  the  post  office.
There   was  no  reminder  from  their  end  that  i     should  collect
the  mail.      In    those  days,    if   i  visit  the  post  office,
i    will   be  trailed  by  strange   faces.

Gambia  Press  Union  president  Demba  Ali  Jawo  is  also  aware  about
this  purported  mail  from  the  US  Embassy.    I   briefed  him  about
it.

If   Information  minister  Amadou  Janneh,     Nana  Grey  Johnson  are
reading,    they  can  confirm  that  i   did  contacted  them   about  such
  a  mail.     Fellow  Gambians,    Deyda   Hydara  saved  me   from   these
  unknown  people  hiding  under  the  name  of   the  US  Embassy.    I
don't      know   what  their  motives  were,    but   Deyda   was
sceptical  about  what  might  happen    to   me.